Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to restore association for .eml files to "windows mail" viewer?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mda

mda

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

i'm running vista business. somehow, the association for .eml files opening the "windows mail" viewer directly has been lost, and i want
to restore that.

i used to be able to double-click on .eml fax files and have them open directly in the winmail.exe viewer, or right-click on
am .eml file in windows explorer and see a number of options.

i tried going into the "open with", "choose default program" "choose the program you want to open this with", but the winmail.exe file is
not listed there. i also tried browsing to that application, but it would not create an association. i tried going to the control panel/set default
programs/associate a file type... but that did not work either.

i was able to associate .eml with other file types when checking other programs for possible use- i had no problems doing that, but could
not find any other installed programs that would let me view .eml. i even went in the registry to see if i could find anything there, but the
results for the search of ".eml" did not seem to show any associations with any other programs (i left it set for firefox), and the registry
entries i did find seemed to be identical to an earlier registry on a drive where the association was intact.

my guess is that i have to input a string some place to fix this, like ""%ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" /eml:%1", but i have
no idea what or where. i did not find anything through a search here or on the internet, and i do not want to have to open the full winmail
program or install some third-party viewer. can someone help?

thanks,

m ades

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users