Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook express

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 manxmano

manxmano

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

Hi, this is my first post so apologies if I don't get this exactly right. I have a strange problem with Outlook Express and the default mail handler option. I'm running XP Home SP3, all current updates, IE7, Firefox 3.0.5, and I use the secunia PSI tool to check that all installed progs have the latest security updates and are all patched. I recently decided to clear out a load of old rubbish from my profile and created a new user account, moved over all the essential music, documents, photos, etc and then deleted the old user account. I then started XP in safe mode so I could take ownership of the old user folder and deleted that.

I use Outlook 2007 but the rest of my family use Outlook Express. Previously I had OE set as the default mail handler and both OE and Outlook set not to check on startup whether they were the default mail handler. That worked fine (and still does). The odd thing now is that XP thinks its the default mail handler (program defaults, IE7 settings all say OE) but when I open OE tools/options the button and message says it is not the default mail handler, even though it is. If I click the box to make default, click apply and close the window, then go tools/options again the message has gone back to saying it is not the default.

I know it is the default because I have a Microsoft keyboard with a mail button and that opens OE. And all the places in XP that tell you what the default is all say OE. In fact the only place where it says it is not the default mail handler is OE itself! It's as if it's not able to read the registry setting (which again says Outlook Express).

Just wondered if anyone else has seen this.

As I said it is not really causing me a problem but I'm a bit of a purist and this is just odd behaviour that I'd like to fix if I could.

I've read somewhere that to go back to IE6 and "reinstall" OE would require me to remove XP SP3 but that's just to much for me. I've tried SFC but that did not find anything.

Thanks for reading this and sorry it is a bit of a ramble.

Regards,

Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

FWIW: My experience with Outlook (the MS Office email program) is that...when installed on a system, it automatically makes itself the default email client, whether the user wants that or not.

You might check that and consider uninstalling it if you aren't using it.

Louis

#3 manxmano

manxmano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

Thanks but i'd like to continue to use both. Outlook for myself and OE for the rest of the family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users