Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defray crashed now xp struggling

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

Defrag stopped displaying progress and there was no hdd activity, so I waited and then shut defrag down. Had troubles so rebooted. On restart mouse would not move and keyboard didn't work. So I turned it off again. On restart I kept mouse moving and that stopped it from freezing, but svchost is running 50% and I can't open any programs. If I open exploer I can see the folders but it stops responding if I try to click on one.

In safe mode I looked at the event viewer and the only unique event since the trouble started is to do with cdr4_xp.sys. This is something with roxio so I rid of of everything roxio, including this driver and all registry keys. The problem has not resolved. Safe mode with networking seemed to have the same problems as normal windows.

I believe the defrag crash had something to do with me disabling my wireless during defrag. The popup window stayed open.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't have an external hard drive so I'm hoping for solutions that don't require backup, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks

Sorry for the careless English. I'm on an iPod to write this. Also iPod seems to correct defrag to defray. I missed it in title.

Edited by bentheimmigrant, 22 January 2009 - 03:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

If you can get into Safe Mode try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Edited by dc3, 22 January 2009 - 03:26 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

Thanks. I'll update as soon as it's complete. It just had to be the night before a big exam.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

It just had to be the night before a big exam.

But of course! You really wouldn't expect this to happen when it would be convenient?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

It just had to be the night before a big exam.

But of course! You really wouldn't expect this to happen when it would be convenient?

I shoulda known better than to do it then.

Restore didn't work. Mouse was stuck by the time I got to it. I really don't like having to just turn my laptop off like this. The errors in the event log are about system start drivers not loading or something like that. I'm back in safe mode but all the logs are gone since the restore, and there's nothing about the last crash (since restore).

#6 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

Sorry to double post. There are two errors after unsuccessful windows startup. One is the cdr4_xp failing to load. The other is that the computer has no accurate source of the time.

How can I make sure windows does not try to start the driver? I've deleted all roxio files, but the driver keeps reappearing in windows/system32/drivers. I've deleted all roxio keys in regedit and the searched for the cdr4 key and deleted that too. I'm stuck. Again.

Thanks

#7 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

Just an idea, I would replace your CMOS battery on your motherboard. It's just a watch battery. After that go into your BIOS and reset your settings to default and restart. That might clear up some of it at least.
-Nelson

#8 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

Just an idea, I would replace your CMOS battery on your motherboard. It's just a watch battery. After that go into your BIOS and reset your settings to default and restart. That might clear up some of it at least.

Haven't gotten to the pc yet today, but I may try that when I get a chance to go out and grab a battery. In the meantime, any ideas on how to stop the computer from trying to load that driver?

#9 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:19 AM

Well I've come to the conclusion there is no rescuing this pc, so I'm going to do a full reinstall. It's a dell, and I have the original so home reinstall cd, but the version on the of is so pro for which I neither have the cd or key... Long story.

So my question is will it be ok reinstalling home or will it get mad when it finds a different version? I am going to do a full reformat.

Also, any idea where (in the uk) I can get a reserve battery for an inspiron 9100? I found one us site and it was like $60. Not too excited about that.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:52 AM

Could you please tell us what the make and model is of your computer?

If you can borrow a installation CD for the same version as yours you can use it to reinstall the operating system.

System Information for Windows can show you the product key, download it, open it and click on licenses. You can download SIW here.

#11 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

Could you please tell us what the make and model is of your computer?

If you can borrow a installation CD for the same version as yours you can use it to reinstall the operating system.

System Information for Windows can show you the product key, download it, open it and click on licenses. You can download SIW here.

Dell insiron 9100

I have the key for xp home, I just wasn't sure if the reinstallation cd would be the full xp or just a repair cd.

Edit: also, the only connection I have to the Internet here I'd through my iPod

Edited by bentheimmigrant, 24 January 2009 - 11:21 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

Try using the Dell PC Restore by Symantec, you can read the instructions here. I would suggest printing these instructions out before you start.

#13 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:01 PM

Try using the Dell PC Restore by Symantec, you can read the instructions here. I would suggest printing these instructions out before you start.

Too late. A friend lent me an external hdd so and I am completely reformatting. It was taking forever to back up my files. It took over 3 hrs to transfer 15 gb. At least it meant I got a few jobs done around the house.

Still installing, but the cd drive didn't crap out on me. So that's good. I have a USB drive because it does that sometimes, but obviously I had to use the laptop drive. Risky business.

Thanks for all the help. If you have any ideas for that CMOS battery please let me know.

Edited by bentheimmigrant, 24 January 2009 - 12:03 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

If your date and time is correct and stays correct I wouldn't worry about the CMOS battery.

#15 bentheimmigrant

bentheimmigrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:29 AM

If your date and time is correct and stays correct I wouldn't worry about the CMOS battery.

I lose the date and time if I remove the main battery. But it's always plugged in, so it seems to be a workable solution.

Xp is up and running now. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users