Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eMachine rebuilt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ldb

ldb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

Our eMachine died.
After doing a lot of research about potential problems. I went through the following exercises to see if we could revive it.

First of all - original eMachine stats:
  • AMD 64 Athlon processor with 160GB HD
  • ATI Radeon Express 200 graphics built in to mobo
  • DVD / RW 16x double layer drive
  • CD-ROM 48x Max Read
  • 512MB DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Memory
  • 56k ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem
In my quest to revive I proceeded as follows:

Step 1: Replace power supply b/c machine would not power up.
Replaced with Dynapower USA EP=50X.C563-BX 500W ATX12V Power Supply.
Still did not power up

Step 2: Replaced mobo with JetWay JM26GT4 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD mobo.
Still did not power up.

Step 3: Realized that memory from original mobo did not fit and processor had some damaged pins.
Installed new memory (2 2GB CORSAIR ValueSelect 240-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR2 533 Dual Channel Memory Cards and installed new processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz Socket AM@ Dual Core Processor

After all of these steps, machine powers up and all is running but all I can get on the monitor is "No signal Input" - I've checked the new mobo manual to see if I need to reset anything and can find no instructions on resetting. I know I may need to re-install the OS and all that, but I can't even get something to come up on the monitor to tell where I'm at.

Also notable, I hooked HD up as a slave to another computer and HD is coming up. Monitor is in working order as I've plugged it in to a different tower and all runs fine.

Any ideas are welcome as to what my next step should be. TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

Have you check all of your connections?

Did you connect the 4-pin connector on the motherboard for the CPU?

You are right, in most cases when you introduce a hdd that has been running in another machine with a Windows operating system installed on it there are problems when it is installed with a different motherboard. This will usually require a fresh installation of the OS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ldb

ldb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Yes, all connections have been checked and I just double checked.

4-pin connector is connected.

I have all ready to re-install - just can't "see" anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users