Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Funky goin's on after mobo replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 XPeeved

XPeeved

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

I recently updated my mobo, processor, HD, etc., and re-installed my old XP Home on the new HD. Since then, I've been discovering all sorts of issues that are driving me nuts (short drive, actually).

1. New WD SATA 320GB HD shows as 128GB in Windows Explorer. I understand this an issue that is supposed to be resolved in SP2

2. I installed all Windows updates, including SP3 which is supposed to include all features of SP2, and still shows as 128GB space. I did this via the Windows update site, and no further updates are available, according to same. I went to WD's site, dl'd the Utilities, and attempted to format a partition on the new drive...to which it tells me that it can't because it is the Windows OS device. Sigh.

3. The old IDE drive I installed as a storage drive is not recognized in BIOS, or in explorer

4. The DVD Combo drive (CDRW / DVD ROM) will only play DVD's. Put in a CD, and the explorer shows it as empty. Win XP CD will not boot in that drive.

5. If I replace the combo drive with a plain old CD drive, it sees CD's and I can boot or repair from that. I have two combo drives (new) and they both do the same thing.

6. My BIOS shows a floppy disk installed, and there is none. I do have a all-in-one card reader installed, but even when I remove it, BIOS says I have a floppy. In the Device Manager, it shows a floppy as well.

7. All drivers are current for the board, the CPU, the HD and the PCIe graphics card (GT9400XT).

I know I'm rambling, but if anyone has any suggestions whatsoever about any or all of these issues, I sincerely appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hi XPeeved, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Did this copy of Window XP have SP1 when you installed it? If it didn't then it will only show the 128GB that you are seeing, once you installed the SP1 or higher you should then be able to see the remainder in the Disk Manager as unallocated space. If this is the case you can format this unallocated space and then access it.

This old IDE, is it the only device on the IDE cable?

How is the jumper set on the old drive, and which connector (middle or end) is it connected to?

Do the combo drives show up in My Computer?

Do you see any errors (red X) or warnings (yellow exclamation mark) in the Device Manager?

You should be able to disable the floppy in the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 XPeeved

XPeeved
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hi XPeeved, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Did this copy of Window XP have SP1 when you installed it? If it didn't then it will only show the 128GB that you are seeing, once you installed the SP1 or higher you should then be able to see the remainder in the Disk Manager as unallocated space. If this is the case you can format this unallocated space and then access it.

This old IDE, is it the only device on the IDE cable?

How is the jumper set on the old drive, and which connector (middle or end) is it connected to?

Do the combo drives show up in My Computer?

Do you see any errors (red X) or warnings (yellow exclamation mark) in the Device Manager?

You should be able to disable the floppy in the BIOS.

I'll have to check on the SP1 issue, but wouldn't an auto update via the MS site advise if I didn't? And wouldn't SP3 include SP1?

I've tried the old drive as a stand-alone, with a CD (both types), jumpers in all positions on both the CD and the HD, and used both the middle and end connector (even tried 3 different - one brand new - IDE cables)..still naught. I even bought a SATA / IDE adapter and connected it to SATA 2 which is enabled in BIOS, and still does not show up in My Computer! I've also tried 3 other HD's that I have that work in other PC's.

Yes, the combo drives show up as drive D: in My Computer, but they don't show any contents with anything other than a DVD.

No on the errors in the Device Manager. All have been cleared.

I've disabled the floppy in BIOS, but still see it in the Device Manager. Weird, huh?

Thanks for the quick response!

#4 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

First knock out the hard drive problem and that might cure some of it. I hate to tell you but you are gonna have to do a clean install again. Make sure you get SP1 on a cd first or make a new slipstreamed cd of your XP Home. Microsoft says this:

By default, the original release version of Windows XP Home Edition and of Windows XP Professional do not have 48-bit LBA support. Your computer must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS.
137-GB hard disk or larger.
You must have Windows XP SP1 installed.

That's why dc3 was asking about SP1. After you get that done see if things smooth out a little, if not we'll tackle the rest. Good luck.
-Nelson

#5 XPeeved

XPeeved
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

First knock out the hard drive problem and that might cure some of it. I hate to tell you but you are gonna have to do a clean install again. Make sure you get SP1 on a cd first or make a new slipstreamed cd of your XP Home. Microsoft says this:

By default, the original release version of Windows XP Home Edition and of Windows XP Professional do not have 48-bit LBA support. Your computer must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS.
137-GB hard disk or larger.
You must have Windows XP SP1 installed.

That's why dc3 was asking about SP1. After you get that done see if things smooth out a little, if not we'll tackle the rest. Good luck.

Thanks.

I did a total wipe and format (NTFS) of the HD, re-installed XP...again, this time installing SP1, rebooting, SP2, rebooting, SP3, rebooting, then completing all updates subsequent to that via MS Update. No difference.

SATA 1 Drive shows as 320GB in BIOS, 128GB in My Computer. In the Computer Management / Storage / Disk Management console screen, I see the C:\ as a 128GB partition with a seperate 170GB unallocated space following. So, I know it's there and XP sees it, but I guess it needs to be allocated as a partition? Can I do that without destroying the 128GB partition?

I don't mind having a partition (2 of them), as I'll be using most of the space as file storage that will be backed up elsewhere.

Thanks again!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Yes you can format the unallocated space and just use it as a second partition, just go to Disk Management and choose to format it. This will not effect the C: partition.

Edited by dc3, 23 January 2009 - 12:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 XPeeved

XPeeved
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Great!

Now...my other issue.

Do you think that with the SATA drive as the OS device, the IDE drives should be jumpered with the the old IDE HD as the Master and the CD/DVD combo drive as Slave, or would another combination of jumper designations be more likely to allow recognition of them in BIOS / XP? Ther's only one IDE connector on the board, and it's supposed to support up to two IDE devices, but I'm not sure how the Master / Slave / CS would effect the boot operation...but then again, I can set that up in BIOS...right?

One more stupid question, and I'll leave y9ou all alone...

I have a SATA to IDE adapter that I can use on the old IDE HD. If I use that, what jumper settings should be used on it so that it will be recognized?

Thanks a lot...again...a lot. :thumbsup:

#8 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

SATA is the preferable option so leave it on that. As far as the drives it doesn't matter. Set them both to CS and put them on the same cable.
-Nelson

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:38 AM

I would set the IDE drives as Master and Slave with the hdd as the Master.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users