Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious about Mobile Broadband

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saku

Saku

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

Not sure where to post this topic, if it needs to be moved feel free to move it.

I'm looking into getting a new laptop with mobile broadband since my computers going a bit up the creek and I can't seem to fix it.

I'm curious to know what kind of speed mobile internet has, if anyones used it before and whether it's worth getting. This being because I can't get a landline in my room (i'm using a shared wireless connection for the household but it's really bad)

Hopefully you can help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hub714

hub714

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Doesn't mobile internet require a subscription? If it's what I'm thinking of, you need to pay extra for the mobile internet and it really depends on the network you'll be connecting to for speed. Some carriers are faster, some are slower. Google up one of the carriers in your area and you should be able to find a speed. For instance, in my area, the only mobile internet provider is Rogers and it's not very fast...

IMO, you should get a wireless repeater or something instead of mobile broadband. Mobile broadband will cost you $$ for a long time whereas a wireless repeater will cost you one fee and will make wireless coverage better all over your house.

In my house I have two wireless routers bridged so my entire house has excellent reception.

Hope that helps.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

I've used it (Verizon's version anyway) the Speeds are moderate and comparable to DSL. The plan I used cost ~$50 per month and had a limit on how much you could download that seemed low to me, under 100MB if I remember correctly, before overage fees were incurred. It's not Cable, but it ain't Dialup. It's closer to Satalite.

My Issues with it:
-Cost per MB (but there may be a better plan out there)
-Proprietary Software, just like dial up, for connecting to the network

My likes about it:
+ Cheaper than Satalite
+ The speed is reasonably fast
+ Internet almost everywhere (If you cell works there most likely it will too)

Posted Image

#4 mrgardon

mrgardon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

Been looking at Cricket and Verizon, both have plans for $40/month but with 5GB throughput. Trouble is I don't know what throughput means when I spend about 8 hrs a day uploading/downloading on blogs according to my current dial up service.

Verizon claims: Typical download speeds of 600-1400 kbps and upload speeds of 500-500 kbps on their site.
In a chat with Cricket sales: 5mbs download speed typical

As I understand it both have a modem that is plugged into the computer via a usb connection and of course the software to get the whole thing going.

Until recently I've thought Cricket and Verizon were phone companies like At&t but apparently not the DSL type. I'm wondering if this 40/mon @ 5gb thing is some kinda DSL clone or what? Cricket claim of 5mbs and Verizon 1400kbps speeds seem a bit out of line with what seems to be the same kinda stuff - a plug in modem and over the air transmission, huh?

#5 E-werd

E-werd

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

I have a Blackberry Pearl 8130 through Sprint with their Everything Data 450 plan, which runs $69.99/month. If you have Desktop Manager (Blackberry Software) installed and running, your Blackberry connected via USB, you can create a new connection with the 'Standard Modem' the software installs, dial #777, and you're online. Speeds are around... well, 80 kb/s downloads. You can comfortably watch videos on Youtube most of the time. No extra fees for internet if you have an unlimited data package. Plus, right now through sometime next month, you get a $100 rebate on Blackberry phones at Sprint.

I like it.

#6 hub714

hub714

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

When using a cell phone as a modem you have to make sure of what plan you're using though. If you're on an "unlimited data plan" that probably only includes specified WAP sites. Not all plans are like that, but some are.

Personally I wouldn't want to pay another $50/60 on top of my normal internet just so I could have a better connection upstairs in my room...But maybe that's because I'm cheap. Who knows.

#7 mrgardon

mrgardon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

I have looked at two plans. One from Verizon and the other from Cricket.

Verizon has a $40/month plan for 50MB throughput - seems really like a lot of money for nothing.

And Verizon has a $60/month plan for 5GB throughput - not much better given the charges of $0.25/MB going over the allowance.

Cricket's plan: $40/month for 5GB and just slowing down the throughput to 256kbs according to my conversation with their sales people, if you go over the 5GB allowance.

Here's the url for Cricket I've been using: http://www.cricketwebspecials.com/?imm_cid=08-0C

My experience with the phone companies has taught me to be sure that the monthly amount I'm sending em I personally type into whatever method of payment I'm using for the monthly billing. The auto payment plan I've had with at&t would every six months or so wind up with some extra charge I hadn't expected. I'd have to call and get those extra charges credited - a real pain in the ass procedure as you might imagine with at&t.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users