Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'drive f is not formatted' error with flashdrive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brisboarder

brisboarder

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

I didnt know where exactly to post this, so i appologise if its misplaced.
my flashdrive reads just fine in my pc but when inserted into my wifes gateway laptop it reads ' drive f is not formatted'
I dont want it formatted as it was data on it. I tried another flashdrive which is empty and formatted and it says the same thing. It seems any flashdrive i plug into the usb on the laptop says the same message?
Im not sure exactly which model gateway it is as i cannot find model info on it? it was refurbed but i have had it for a 2-3 years with no problem. It runs win XP. I tried looking on gateways help center but no luck and tried a few things i found through google but still no luck!
You have all helped me before, i believe in you all. thanks in advance for any suggestions

Edited by brisboarder, 22 January 2009 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

If you are so sure that the drives themselves are good...the conclusion I would draw is that the laptop USB ports may be functioning properly.

That's where I would start my investigation...drivers, ports on that system. I would uninstall the USB controllers, reboot and reinstall same.

Louis

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Hi brisboarder.
This is a S-T-R-E-T-C-H but needs addressing. :thumbsup:
Which file system is the flash drive formatted in?
If it is NTFS and your wife's laptop is using XP home on Fat32, there's your problem.
With Win 2k, XP (with write cache enabled for usb flash drives) and Vista, it is possible to format a usb flash drive using NTFS.
XP, by default, disables write chaching for usb flash drives and only fat 16 and fat 32 are choices. It is easy enough to enable it but most people don't because you then have to use the "safely remove hardware" function.
The only exception I've seen are the lexar jumpdrives of which I have two.

Edited by HitSquad, 22 January 2009 - 11:55 AM.

#4 brisboarder

brisboarder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

thanks for your prompt assistance, this may seem simple to you but could you please simplify this for me. I am no expert, but willing to try/learn.
Like how to uninstall/reinstall ports,drivers, controllers etc
Thanks for understanding

Edited by brisboarder, 22 January 2009 - 03:56 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

No problem...what I should have asked is...have you tried any other USB devices on your wife's system?

If her system has no problem with other USB devices...but has a problem with yours...that's one situation.

But if her system has any problems with other USB devices...time to look at her system as being the possible cause.

Before we go my route...why not answer Hit Squad's excellent post? We can pursue my line of thinking later :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 brisboarder

brisboarder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

got it thanks for your help, it was formatted in a different file system. problem solved....once again

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:16 AM

You're welcome and thanks for posting back.
Sometimes it's the simple things that get ya. :thumbsup:
I had my doubts because it's kind of rare but is the easiest thing to check first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users