Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I add some of D:/ storage to C:/ hd

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 want2know2

want2know2

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

Hi, I have a partition on my PC but now I've gone and bought an external hd of 500GB so I want to get rid of the partition on the mb.

Currently the C:/ drive has 14.6 GB and my D:/ storage drive has 41.2GB of which 36.5GB is free.

I would just want to add some of the storage to C for a faster performance because I think that might be a solution to some of the problems (a.o slow PC) I've been having lately.

Thanx you guys great work!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

What types of files are you talking about moving?

FWIW: Generally, I doubt if moving anything other than programs (possibly) to the C: partition will result in a more efficient system. That opinion is not documented anywhere, it just makes sense to me that programs and the O/S ought to be on the same partition.

Louis

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

It sounds like what you are asking is whether you can increase the size of the C: partition by taking some of the external drive's partition and allocating it to the C: drive. That's a no-no. :thumbsup:

What you would need to do is to get a larger internal hard drive and "Ghost" the C: partition to the new hard drive. (I use Acronis True Image or Symantec Ghost) Then, the original hard drive could be reformatted and used as extra storage. :flowers:

You didn't say whether you were using XP or Vista. Vista would allow you to use a Flash Drive to add some RAM to the system RAM. I think it is called Rambooster? That would help you speed up your computer.

Another option is to remove programs (Uninstall them) and reinstall them using the external hard drive to hold the program. You can do that but you need to be cautious as to what programs you are loading onto the external drive. Some programs require the use of a C: partition.

I hope this helps.

DR :trumpet:

#4 want2know2

want2know2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

Thanx hamluis and rigacci,

No it's not files I'm trying to move it's like rigacci said I'm trying to increase my C: partition.

I'm running xp it was once all together but after I had a bad viirus problem took it back to the store and they divided my C: into C: and D: but now I've gotten this fancy new external drive F: 500GB so everything I had on D: has slowly found it's way to F:(external drive).

So that's why I thought hey lets join C: and D: together. Hence my question is it possible.

Is it?? and how would I have to go about it?? Can I do this ghost thing to join the C: and D:??

Cheers

Jay

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

Sorry I misunderstood (my advancing "Alzheimer's" and just some bad genetic coding :thumbsup:).

You can join the two partitions...by using a program similar to Partition Magic. These types of programs allow users to change the sizes of partitions which already exist...without deleting data files which the user may want.

This class of programs are known as "partition managers", http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=p...tition+managers

I don't have personal experience with anything other than Partition Magic...but others here may be able to suggest something other than that.

You may want to take a look at Partition Manager - http://www.ranish.com/part/ . I've not used it but I have it listed as being recommended by someone I respect as reliable.

Any one of the tools described above will allow a simple joining of two adjacent partitions.

Louis

#6 want2know2

want2know2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

Cool Louis,
0h never mind I understand :thumbsup: I'll give it a shot and get back 2 you.

Cheers Jay

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:35 AM

I think I may have some of those same genes hamluis. I didn't quite get it clear either. :thumbsup:

But hamluis is correct about Partition Magig. It's a great little tool but there are some free tools out there.

DR

#8 want2know2

want2know2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

I think I found something! I'll get back to you tomorrow before I install!

Don't worry about the genes I think we all have some of them! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Jay

#9 want2know2

want2know2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hi Louis, DR

Well I've done it, I went online and downloaded Ranish Partition Manager!
The only thing is I know compared to you guys next to nothing about PCs. I try but am still not there yet.

And when I read the line ( First of all, I suggest this version only to the EXPERIENCED users.) in the Read Me file I got a little worried.

So as I mentioned yesterday I'll be back before I install. :thumbsup:

Could you help me out by breaking it down in lots of steps( I don't want to mess up my PC)

I came across this partition tool

could this also be something??

Cheers,

Jay

Edited by want2know2, 24 January 2009 - 08:38 AM.

#10 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

Here are a couple of links that can help you. They will explain how to use GPART (Gnome Partitioner). It is actually a linux program but will shrink xp partitions real easy. You need to download the ISO image and burn it to a CD using either Nero or another ISO burner.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_wi...hots.htm?page=2

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...uide.htm?page=2

Here's a link to a free ISO burner that is pretty easy to use:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

I am not familiar with the one you downloaded but I do know that the GPART works nicely and is fairly easy, even for a newbie.

Good luck.

DR

#11 want2know2

want2know2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

Hi Rigacci,

I just added another one to my earlier post I found this Partition Tool

Do you know this one?

Jay

#12 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

No sorry I don't know of that one. Looks fairly decent but I can only speak for the GPART.

Give it a shot but maybe try it on a different, expendable computer?

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users