Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

incorrect google searches - antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wanny

wanny

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

Hi there,

I am a little confused and hope you can help. I've read about some antivirus 2009 virus that hijacks google in some way. I do not seem to be having any extreme or noticeable symptoms as described by reports about this virus, but have just one quite minor symptom so am not sure if I am infected.

When I search using google - and a few times on yahoo I've just noticed - I occasionally get shown websites that clearly do not match the search results, often with supposed antivirus websites instead of news.bbc.co.uk which it should say, for example. That is to say, the search result will say BBC-homepage, but underneath the url quoted will be incorrect and would direct me to some other site.

This seems to be my only symptom and when I go to the google homepage there is no big 'google tips' notification or 'you are infected' pop ups and I have not noticed any other things different with my pc apart from this occasional search engine issue. Reading a few reports about this antivirus thing, including your own which most others seem to reference, I'm not entirely sure whether the problem must be with my computer or with google itself.

I have the latest mcaffee software which has not detected any problems in a full scan I just did. My webroot spy sweeper program has also not detected anything. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any help you could offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xgonz

Xgonz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

Dont know if im allowed to post but im just started today i had the same problem with my firefox just delete cookies and history hopes this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users