Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista doesn't recognize new RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

Last night, I replaced two 512 MB DDR2 with two 1GB DDR2 chips, because one of the original chips failed a memory test. Before the replacement, my system registered 3062Mb RAM. After the replacement, Vista still reports exactly the same amount of RAM.

The motherboard in the Intel D945PSN, and the Operating System is Windows Vista Ultimate x86. I know because of 32bit addressing the OS won't see the full 4GB, but I expected at least a small increase in memory, to 3.5GB. Is there something extra I need to do to get Vista to recheck the installed RAM? Oh, and the system BIOS does recognize the new RAM, showing 2048x2. The new chips were specifically recommended for the mobo.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

Well the full 4GB thing is kinda iffy, ive seen it on a few computers. Some of them willl recognize up too 3GB (3062MB) Some will recognize 3.5 (3574MB)

We cant really rule this one out unless you install a 64bit operating system first. If you cannot installed a 64bit version of Vista/XP I belive they have linux distros at 64bit and you should be abel to check it.

Also the BIOS would recognize the correct amout of RAM.

Have you MEMchecked these two new sticks?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

I haven't tried the memcheck yet, but will run it tonight, thanks. I had Vista x64 installed until last week, when I downgraded trying to fix the infamous display fail/restart issue. If the memcheck comes back OK, I will probably wait until I find the cause of the display issue until I go back to x64. Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't quite sure if there was something else that needed to be done after the sticks were installed to get Vista to pick them up.

Confession: I also didn't realize the computer was in sleep mode when I replaced the memory sticks. :huh: That was a happy few minutes, rebooting and praying nothing got fried. heh.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users