Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bottom tool bar changed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

I know how to unlock and change the tool bar. But somehow something I did must have changed a setting without going through the normal procedures. Now if there are several programs/windows open there is no indication in the tool bar. If the windows are maxumized i can find the open IE 6 browser page or open word doc. But if i minimized it i don't see it. It appears to disappear behind the tool bar. i added a check mark by "desktop manager" there is now four numbered buttons, a green button which looks like it has a symbol for tiled pages, and some letters MSVDM. My guess is that it stands for MicroSoftVirtualDesktopManager?

i want the old tool bar back that shows how many browsers i have open and how many docs, and anything else that is open. How do i get that back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Does a tap of F10 or F12 ( I foget which) bring it back when Maximized.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:20 AM

Have not checked either F command. i have a different kind of F command i'd like to give to this laptop....and i've been sooo good to it, doing all of those things that the elders preached constantly: back-up, back-up, back-up, update, update, update, run a full virus scan frequently ( i've been into computer so long there seemed to be a very long time span when the only people who really needed a virus program was because they were " In The Biz " in silicon valley speak that meant you worked for one of the valley's giants and there was a very good chance that you would not work for any one giant very long because the business of stealing workers helped create the business of and term " headhunter ".
Now i know that this digression has little or nothing to do with my problem or your answer but since something about this post made me think about "the olden days of silicon valley" ( maybe i have a book here or just a short story? ) The more i think about it the more that a few other possibilities pop into mind about the genesis of things. So for instance, before the wide use of computers did "hackers" exist as they do now.
( that period would vary some depending on where you lived...if you lived in The S Valley then you may have had some form of PC in mid to late 70's but i'd say the rest of the country probably started using if not buying a PC in the late 80's. i got my first computer which i never figure out exactly how to use it or what i would use it for but when i got the first Mac in 1987 for about $2700.00 and it didn't have a hard drive. )

Anyway, after i post this i will try to F my computer and see if either the 11 or 10 will bring back those hiden windows.

Thanks for reading the post and comment.

#4 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

Nope neither on brings back those browsers which i can see that they are not closing they are just going behind the tool bar and it looks like they head towards the START BUTTON. i draged the toolbar down out of site but still couldn't see the open browser window's.

Thanks for the suggestion....i'm ordering a new MAC today....i think it's time to go back to my roots to see how things work for me there.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

well perhaps someone else may have another,that was my only idea.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 DoesNotCompute

DoesNotCompute

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

You may want to try this:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

#7 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members