Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking virus/trojan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 gordon-bennett

gordon-bennett

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

When I start up my machine it goes as normal to the welcome screen and the MS tune. However, then a woman's voice (with a foreign accent, ie non English) tells me in English that there is a security problem with my computer. Then a window is opened and the results of an apparent scan are shown advising me to pay to upgrade my security program for a cure. If I pay I do not know if they will unblock or keep asking for payments. The window is headed "Privacy Components". I cannot get past this window to my normal desktop window and cannot therefore run any programs, although I can still connect to the internet.

There is a link to a badly written FAQ page at www.privacy-tools-pack.com/faq.html via the Help button in the virus window

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gordon-bennett

gordon-bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

I have now found out more information. The virus originates from the following site "privacy-tools-pack.com". It seems to be a means of blackmail for people who have looked at adult sites. Whether you pay once or many times, I do not know. I have reported this to the Police and explained that it is as if someone has fitted new locks in your house without your permission and is charging you money for unlocking the doors and letting you into your own house! If anyone knows how to unblock this virus please let me know.

#3 gordon-bennett

gordon-bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

I have found a solution.

I started up my machine in safe mode, logged on as Administrator and was able to use "Remove Software" via the control panel to delete the "privacy components" software.

A rather prosaic solution to what seemed to be a massive problem.

I apologize for wasting anyone's time.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for informing us what you have done.

This Topic is closed.

Should you need it reopened, please contact a Forum Moderator. Include the address of this thread in your request.

If you have a new issue, please start a New Topic.

This applies only to the original poster. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users