Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very loud noise coming from my pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mighty-mouse

mighty-mouse

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

I have a dell dimension desktop and this morning when i turned it on, it was making a rather loud whirring sound and it wouldn't start. I have taken off the back of it and have noticed that there is some wire coming from the internal power source that looks like it should be plugged into something but was hanging loose. Just wondering if the 2 issues are related.

Edited by mighty-mouse, 22 January 2009 - 09:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...I have, on occasion, moved one of the cables/wires inside my system...right into the path of one of the fans, which does startle me.

You might check that there is nothing impeding any fan.

Generally speaking, my experience is that leaving anything unplugged that should be plugged in...results in unexpected/unwanted silence.

Louis

#3 mighty-mouse

mighty-mouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

I've checked and there is nothing in the way of the fan. It's still making the noise and still won't start :thumbsup:

Edited by mighty-mouse, 22 January 2009 - 12:38 PM.

#4 JawOT

JawOT

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

What does it do when you turn on the power button ?

#5 mighty-mouse

mighty-mouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

just a blank screen, windows doesn't even load and it makes that loud noise, but the green lights on the front of the CPU flash

Edited by mighty-mouse, 22 January 2009 - 01:02 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

Is this fan the one on the motherboard or the case fan?

When you looked inside the case was there a lot of dust?

If this fan is the fan on the motherboard and is for the CPU and is louder than normal you could have a overheating problem. With the computer look to see if the fan and heat sink is full of dust, and make sure that the heat sink is firmly secured to the CPU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

I'm curious about this wire coming from the power supply. Is it yellow and have a 3 female pin connector on the end of it?

If so That is nothing to worry about. A yellow wire with a 3 pin female connector is the RPM sensor from your power supply box, If Not. That still remains a mystery. I Kinda want to rule out overheating due to the fact the machine was off over night and just started happening right in the morning. Most likely everything is still cold. Only thing that comes to mind is dust can be a factor in slowing down the CPU fan. This may Trigger a Fan Fail warning which will cause the computer to fail on bootup. This is in place just to protect the hardware from damage. Keep in mind that Dust can cause static discharge so I suggest being real careful when cleaning out your machine

Edited by Goldwyn, 22 January 2009 - 08:02 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,768 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

Where precisely in the system does the noise originate from?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 mighty-mouse

mighty-mouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:05 AM

Thanks goldwyn, the wire is as you said so that isn't anything to worry about.
The fan is in a case. Inside the pc was relativley clean, but i got out what dust i could. I'm not all that great with pc's so i don't realy want to start unscrewing things. Even after cleaning out the dust, it still makes the loud noise, but it's hard to tell exactly where the noise is coming from. I'm just keeping fingers crossed that it's not a big problem that's going to cost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users