Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a Backup Disc Help Needed.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

I thought it would be a good idea to have a back-up of my files, vital programs etc in the event of my PC crashing and losing everything as my PC is coming up to 6yrs old. I have downloaded and printed off a copy of a step by step Windows reformat and have my original XP Home Edition SP1 disc as well as a streamlined
disc my son in law made with SP2 added.
My question is, what programs etc do I need to make a back up disc of my Firewall, AV, Spyware and other security programs as well as any necessary files etc. I have several DVD+R recordable discs with 4.7GB capacity which I plan to use. I am used to burning music CD's using Windows Media Player 11 but having never done this before am not sure if I can use WMP11 to make a data disc or do I need any special program instead and would appreciate any advice / help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

You will want software that will let you span discs so that you can fill up each disc completely and then insert another one to continue copying without having to find files that do not exceed the capacity of each individual disc. I finally bit the bullet and bought a 500 Gb external USB drive and Acronis True Image both for a little over $100. I can mirror image my entire internal 80 Gb hard drive or recover the entire internal image in about 2.5 hours on my old machine. I mirror the internal at night so it takes no time. When you back up to CD's it's a slow process each time that has to be repeated over and over. Then you have to really know where all your user files are located and it is easy to miss backing up an important data file that may not be in your user directory. The other part is that for me it would literally take days to restore all the application software I currently am using and get all the application settings back. I am cheap but that $100 investment has been worth every penny.

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users