Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A PC for my mate.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

My mate asked me to build for him a PC on amount of $400. I've builded on $456, but the prices are "average/medium".

Here it is:

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 (2.5 GHz; 2 MB L2 cache; 800 MHz FSB) - $92
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L (Intel P35; Realtek ALC888) - $88
Memory: Hynix 2x1 GB (DDR2-800; CL5) - $24
Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 512 MB GDDR3 (256-bit) - $97
Hard drive: Samsung HD502LJ (500 GB; 16 MB cache) - $68
Optical drive: Samsung SH-S223Q (DVD±RW; 22x; w/ LightScribe) - $27
Chassis w/ int. power supply: Asus TA-891 & FSP 400 W w/ passive PFC (Middle Tower ATX) - $54
Chassis' fans: 2x/ Cooler Master R4-S2B-12AK-GP (2x120 MM rear & front) - $3 + $3

Total price: $456

What's wrong in it? :thumbsup: Thanks!

P.S. I think $56 more is worth it, because such computer, I think will handle all games on normal quality for 2 or (for patient user) even 4 years.
P.P.S. Should I change the motherboard from DS3L to DS3, that has 2 more SATAs, Realtek ALC889A, 2 more USBs, 2 more energy blocks (for processor... but the processor "input", no matter it's DS3L or DS3 - still 4 slots) and less "unneeded" ports (like COM and LPT... if I'm right - that's how they're called)? Also - does CAS latencies do matter so much for an Intel processor, that has no "integrated memory controller"?
P.P.P.S. So is the power heading (4 energy blocks and 4-slotted input) enouph for a later upgrade to E8400? DS3 - 6 energy blocks and ONLY 4-slotted input will be enouph?

Edited by rhino1366, 22 January 2009 - 08:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

Guys, if you understand in computer's hardware - why you're not replying? This case is pretty urgent. My friend is awaits on my configuration.

Thanks.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

It's only been 2 hours since your first post. People do have lives and go to work, school, and such
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

Err... sorry.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

Just back from class, sorry for the delay. If you're planning to keep this PC for several years, you may want to upgrade the CPU to a quad core, the RAM to the maximum your motherboard will allow, and use a 64-bit operating system. Let's see what we've got here....

Processor: Good choice, though I would get a higher speed if I had the cash on hand.
Motherboard: This is a mid-range motherboard, not bad but not great either. Note that you cannot use SLI or Crossfire with this motherboard.
Memory: Your memory selection is not very good. Your board can go up to DDR2-1200. For better performance I suggest you get it. The motherboard can support up to 8GB of RAM. If you are planning on using Vista 64-bit, get as much as you can afford. If you're sticking with XP or Vista 32-bit, you hit a cap at 4GB. The more memory you have the better time you will have.
Graphics card: Great for older games and applications, newer games will have a rough time of it though. A Radeon 4-series or a GeForce 9800 GTX or above will work well.
Hard Drive: No issues, if you can get one with a 32MB cache you will be better performance.
Optical Drive: No issues.
Chassis: Power supplies that are included with the chassis are rarely ever good. Also the 400W power supply might not be enough for some graphics cards. Finally, be aware that not all mid-tower ATX cases can accommodate the large graphics cards that are popular. A full ATX tower case would be best if you plan on using a higher-end graphics card.

It is your choice to go to a better motherboard, but the one you chose already has an audio system included with it and four SATA ports. If you're planning on using more than, say, two hard drives, you will find the extra SATA ports useful.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users