Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

getting out of safe mode!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 feh728

feh728

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

:thumbsup:
Hey!

I am running Windows XP Pro on a custom PC and tried starting my computer in safe mode. I know, I know, I AM A LOSER IF I CANT START MY COMPUTER IN SAFE MODE. I tried the F8 way about 10-15 times and could not get it to work. Then I went to Run>msconfig and did it the way it shows in the "How to Start Windows In Safe Mode" tutorial located here.
<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/>
Surprise! it worked. Now my problem is trying to get back into the regular mode. Again, I tried the F8 way and failed. Then I did Run>msconfig and unchecked the box that says "/SAFEBOOT" under the "BOOT.INI" tab and then selected the "Normal Startup-load all device drivers and services" option under the "GENERAL" tab. Pressed Apply. Pressed Close. and it prompted me to restart my computer. I clicked "Restart" and magically it DID NOT work. I keep rebooting into Safe Mode. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:03 AM

Restart to a Windows XP cd (with your service pack on it.) When it finishes loading drivers, press the designated button for "Repair an existing installation." Now, follow any prompts until you get to a command line. Now, type the following (without quotes): "fixboot"

And for good measure, throw in "fixmbr" you never know when your Master Boot Record is slightly corrupted.

Your boot.ini file should now be in working order. Restart your computer, and make sure it worked. If it doesn't, please let us here at BleepingComputer know.

Have a good day!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

To your knowledge...was there malware on the system?

Why were you trying to get into safe mode?

Louis

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

Is the post date wrong on the original entry? :mellow:

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

I didn't notice that post date before...thanks :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users