Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got new mobo, now Vista won't boot.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 God For Hire

God For Hire

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:57 AM

I'm in the process of building a new PC. I already had the thing put together and had Vista installed when some other hardware issue caused me to get a new mobo. Now that that issue is taken care of and the new mobo installed and bios up to date, Vista will not boot.

Every time I try to boot in all the different safe modes, last good config or normally it gets to the boot window with the bar at the bottom that moves(sorry the name is escaping me right now). The bar moves for 15-30 seconds then freezes. Then a blue screen flashes for a split second and the PC reboots.

I've tried to just reinstall windows, but it freezes after the moving bar screen. It gets to what looks like the first screen on the OS with the mouse that I can move around for about 30 seconds then it just freezes and stays there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Is this the same model motherboard as the one you replaced, and using the same processor?
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Your problem is that your Vista install was set up according to the specific hardware that was connected to it when you installed. So when you changed your mobo Vista got confused. You need to use your Vista cd, boot from it and do a repair install. It's not the first repair option, it's the second after you pick to install windows and it shows you your current Windows versions. Hit R, let it install and you should be good to go.
-Nelson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users