Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons and Start Menu GONE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Coop-Show

Coop-Show

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:26 AM

First of all, we are working with a Windows 2000 Server machine. It is a Dell 1400 SC.

When I boot, everything is normal. I get to the login screen and login as the "Administrator" of the domain. Everything seems to go well. The login script runs correctly. The start menu appears for a split second and goes away. I can alt+ctrl+del and get to the task manager to run applications, but can not do anything else.

What I have tried to fix this issue:
Reboot.
Boot into safe mode.
Boot with Floppy, delete explorer.exe and install a good one.
Restore to last known good configuration.
Recovery console.
Hard reboot.

None of these things do anything for the symptoms. Anyone have any ideas? I have looked all over the net and have found NADA.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:53 PM

Try the smitfraud.reg fix. This .reg file restores some of the display parameters to defaults. You will probably need to download it to a floppy and run it from there.

Download smitfraud.reg to your desktop (or a floppy).

Double click the smitfraud.reg icon on your desktop. (or run it from the taskmanager run box) When it asks if you want to add the data to the registry, say Yes.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Coop-Show

Coop-Show
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

I will give it a try...thanks

#4 Coop-Show