Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Toolbar Won't Show Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

I have Vista 32 bit OS, Home Premium on Toshiba Laptop.

I like using the 'autofill' from Google. I was having problems with IE 7.0 saying "not responding" and I disabled Addons. IE works, but I cannot get Google Toolbar back.

I went to Manage Addons and all Google items are 'enabled.' I checked with www.google.com and asked the above noted question. The prerecorded question and response was to get into Registry. I am not comfortable doing that.

Any other suggestions? Or is Google Toolbar the gremlin causing the 'not responding' problem in IE?

Thank you for all your assistance, you are the best of the best (and believe me, I have checked a lot of places!!!).

Pat :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

It sounds like you have installed an incorrect toolbar. However, I will not jump to conclusions.

Step :thumbsup: Make sure it is not SCAM software

Please Download CWShredder from TrendMicro, software listed on FileHippo.

After you have scanned and the results get displayed, please copy+paste the report here or screenshot the report and upload it to BleepingComputer.com then display it in your next reply.

edit: typo

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 21 January 2009 - 09:11 PM.

#3 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

I did the scan and it said "not present" for all the files.

Pat

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

Good!

Obviously it is not scam software. Now we need to check and make sure that the active-x for the Google toolbar is not in error.

Step :flowers: Make sure Third-Party Extensions are ENABLED
In Internet Explorer:

1. Click the Tools menu.
2. Select Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. In the 'Browsing' section, make sure that the 'Enable third party browser extensions' checkbox is selected.

Step :thumbsup: Reinstall the toolbar

Try resolving the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the Toolbar. To uninstall the Toolbar, see these instructions. You should be able to reinstall from the Toolbar homepage.

After uninstalling it, and BEFORE reinstalling it, RESTART your computer, so the active-x control can be reset. Even though the active-x control no longer exists, it's Registry ID does and can be reset by RESTARTING your computer.

Please let me know of the results. I have 5 more solutions if the two above do not work.

#5 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

The 3rd party is selected. I tried the uninstall and did a full close and started up my laptop, and reinstalled the toolbar, still nothing.

The icon for the toolbar is in the 'right click' selection area, but when I select it, it does not do anything. After selecting that icon, I have gone back to check for the 'check mark' but it remains unchecked.

Pat

Edited by pat71896, 24 January 2009 - 01:10 PM.

#6 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

Can you access the toolbar? If you can then step 4 will work. Especially if you are using IE7, then this step addresses it greatly.

Step :inlove: Disable all other options such as suggesting, etc.

1. Click “Settings” > “Options.”
2. Click the “Search Box Settings” button.
3. The last three check boxes allow you to select which features are enabled in the search box drop-down. Although “suggest popular searches”
may be the only feature causing IE to hang, you may want to disable all three options to be sure.

Step :cool: Make sure the latest version of MSXML Service Pack is installed for Version 3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...en#Instructions

Step :trumpet: Be sure to have all Windows Updates including Service Pack 3

http://update.microsoft.com

Step :flowers: Use Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer and download Google toolbar as an add-on

http://www.getfirefox.com

Step :thumbsup: Do this step Last

Post to Google Toolbar Forum

Do all of these steps, please, then please post the results!

#7 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

4. I cannot access the toolbar unless there is someway outside of IE 7.0.

5. I checked the MSXML but it was listed for these OS: Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP
I have Vista.

6. The Vista Updates only go through Version 1, unless I am mistaken???

7. I did not care for Firefox, but I am thinking about it again.

8. I will post this on the forum at Google, good idea, why didn't I think of that?

I appreciate all your help.

Pat

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

If you have Vista and all the updates intact, then the MSXML solution is good.

It has to be an internal issue, like a DLL handler. I had a similar problem in Vista, but I just got Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2, and ran the toolbar and the issue was fixed. You can do this if you want, but you must be careful with BETA products as they are not stable. There are updates for IE8. You may need the IE8 add-on, but it should come through the automatic updates as an optional update. This add-on is the "specific compatibility" add-on which will allow you to use IE7 add-ons for IE8.

IE8 is faster though. I haven't had any problems yet.

I hope you get help in Google help forums. Best of luck! I gave you eight solutions, but they did not work...so it must indeed be an internal error.

I forgot about the service pack thing, because I thought you were running WinXP.

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 24 January 2009 - 07:25 PM.

#9 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

I do agree that it is probably something like (or is) a DLL problem. But I have other problems with the machine which I tried getting help in the Vista forum. I did not get too far.

I have been told by Toshiba to reformat the HD. I don't want to do that. I have tried the repair option, no help. I would really love to get my money back and get an HP which I have had nearly no trouble. I have had so many problems that I put it in the closet (so I did not have to look at it) and reworked my HP Laptop.

But that was not a reasonable answer, I have too much tied up in this darned machine, so I went back to this machine.

Alas, it is a piece of trash. The problems are variable and have come and gone for over a year (excluding the time out it spent in the closet).

I will consider that IE 8, but I have dealt with other Beta items before; with this machine, it does not seem like a good idea. Then again, with so many problems, what would one more be?

Why am I hesitant to reformat the HD?? Well, I cannot get a good back up with idrive or Carbonite. . . . . . . I am considering a manual back up, but worry about all the time it will take.

Thanks for all the help and listening.

Pat

#10 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

This will help -- okay! If you need [TrustedInstaller] Advanced help for Vista, then please consider.

#11 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

I am still working with the scans you sent with the reply. I have a lot of hope this will help, because "SuperAntispy" found over 100 errors right after I did a McAfee scan. (I think I got the SuperAntiSpy on another question, but it is interesting and I am working on that now)

I do understand that they have differing criteria to do the review, but I thought that having more than 1 scan can cause problems. Am I wrong?

Pat

Edited by pat71896, 28 January 2009 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users