Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DarkVagrant

DarkVagrant

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

So, I've got this HDD. Its a 80 GB (yea its ancient) and its been working great for my PC. Now all of the sudden after i try to turn my computer on yesterday (after it was working perfectly and nothing was touched) I'm getting an "unable to detect primary Master" error when i try to boot. It won't let me boot Windows XP or Ubuntu (which is also on that Hard Disk) However! when i boot from my Ubuntu CD it will boot up. What's your thoughts??

~DV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

check cables attached to HDD to make sure that is ok and find who manufactured the drive while you are at it (i.e. western digital, seagate)
if all checks out go to drive manufacturer's web site and download diagnostic software to see if drive reports problems.

#3 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:46 AM

Check your BIOS to make sure your HDD is set to boot (either master slave or SATA, depending on what type of HD you have).

When you boot from your Ubuntu CD, can you navigate to your HD to see if you can still see the contents inside it?

#4 DarkVagrant

DarkVagrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

Its Western Digital. Checked the boot sequence and its all good. although will see if i can acess my drive from the CD. That computer does not have internet access so i'm almost positive its not a virus or something of that sort. (would be remarkable if it was)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

I just realized...that "unable to detect" message is probably not a Windows message but a BIOS message.

If I had a second computer, I would remove it and just try to temporarily install it in a different system...for comparative purposes...remembering that I might have to change the jumper settting when attaching to a different system.

Louis

#6 DarkVagrant

DarkVagrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

I can try that. But if the drive works on the other comp would that mean BIOS problems? Or perhaps wiring problems between the motherboard and the drive? Remember that the CD boots up just fine (ubuntu). (i'm at work right now so wont be able to try all this till later.)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Usually if you can boot from a CD this means that the motherboard and its components and the power supply are all good. This means that you either have a problem with the operating system or the hdd, not being able to open Ubuntu either makes it look like there is a problem related to the hdd. Did you go to the Western Digital web site and download their diagnostic tool? I agree with Caperjack, you should run the diagnostic tool. Let us know what the results are.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 DarkVagrant

DarkVagrant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

Well Something must have shook loose or something in the wiring. I took it off the board and took the connecting cable off the board and cleaned it all out real good and then put it all back. And it started right up. (nothing EVER works that easy) Well thanks for all the help guys.

~DV

#9 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for letting us know ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users