Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MMorgan1000

MMorgan1000

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

I'm looking for detailed instructions for reinstalling Windows XP. I would also like a list of recommended pre-install activities.

Background: My PC was infected by a virus last year and hasn't acted the same since it was cleaned. I'm not 100% confident it was completely removed so I would like to do a fresh reinstall.

HP Media Center PC m270n
Microsoft Windows XP - Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

pre-install activities would be make sure you have all files you want to keep backed up to another place
i.e. photos, music, documents, email and email settings, bookmarks or favorites, download drivers for your hardware if you do not have original disk. it is most important to have your network card driver or modem driver so you can get back on the internet to get the rest

back up anything that is important to you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

Does that system include a restore/recovery CD?

I guess that I thought that all Media Center systems came with restore/recovery partitions...which might make it difficult to clean install from an XP CD.

What does your owner's manual say about reinstalling/recovery?

What is the system manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 MMorgan1000

MMorgan1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

Does that system include a restore/recovery CD?

I guess that I thought that all Media Center systems came with restore/recovery partitions...which might make it difficult to clean install from an XP CD.

What does your owner's manual say about reinstalling/recovery?

What is the system manufacturer and model?

Louis

There is a program to create a recovery CD but my DVD drive is not recognizing the blank DVD when asked to insert it in the drive.

The D: drive is called "HP_Recovery" so I think that is the "recovery partition" that you are referring to.

It is a Hewlett Packard Media Center Edition m270n

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

Well...how did you intend to install XP?

Louis

#6 MMorgan1000

MMorgan1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

For some reason, I wasn't able to create the Recovery Discs on a DVD-R or DVD+R, but it did allow me to create on 6 CD-Rs. Now I have the Recovery Discs.

Can you help explain what I need to do to back-up the drivers mentioned in the earlier post? Which ones should I copy? Where do I find them?

#7 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

The HP recovery discs will load all the drivers needed by all the hardware that was included on your original machine. If you were to install Windows XP from Microsoft's installation discs you would need to find drivers specific to your machine. Your recovery CD's you created will be your easiest route to reinstall XP. So if you have added a DSL modem you will need to reinstall the software for the modem as you will need to reinstall any other software you have loaded to your machine since it was new. In order of priority I would make sure your security software is loaded and active, reload your modem software, update your security software and then start Windows updates.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users