Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HardDrive connector thing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vaine

Vaine

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

I wanted to put in a smaller IDE laptop hdd into my laptop for some reasons. Well I opened up the HDD compartment and found that there was this black thing covering the pins of my HDD and converting it to something. All I have to do is push down on the HDD to make it go in the slots. The "Pins" are interlocking. Here are a few images. Maybe my laptop is not IDE? I can take the little black converter thing and put it on the other IDE HDD

Laptop itself:

Posted Image

HDD with connector on:

Posted Image

What is this device?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop?
The pictures aren't real clear and my eyesight's a little foggy. Are you sure this model isn't capable of having two hard drives installed?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

Its IDE. Many models have adapters (like that) between mobo and HD, some even have adapters on the CD/DVD drive as well. Undo the screws holding the drive to the cart, the connector/adapter slides out like a regular IDE plug.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Vaine

Vaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

I knew the laptop HDD was IDE but my laptop is

HP Pavillion ZE2315US

And sorry about the pictures. Took them from my phone.

#5 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

Look on pages 5-7 thru 5-9 of the online Maintenance and Service
Guide

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00444840.pdf

#6 Vaine

Vaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:19 AM

Serial ATA/100 but what is the connector? That coverts IDE to Ata/100. Is there a word for the piece?

#7 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

It's not serial ata...it's IDE/PATA. The pages on the manual above call the two parts "Hard Drive Frame and Connector".

It's simply an adapter that that connects the drive pins to the laptop. Different manufacturers use different methods to do this sort of thing. This just happens to be the method hp uses on this particular laptop.

This part does not perform any magic...just connects the drive to the laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users