Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jajobra

jajobra

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi Guys. My problem with my Compaq Presario Laptop is the random BSODs it will encounter after running for at least 20 min or so. The laptop will make a "clicking" sound right before the bsod will show up. It is hard to explain but to the layman it reminds me of a car trying to start but not being able to turn over. Obviously I do not have an in-depth background with computers so that is as best as I can explain the situation.

As mentioned in the topic header, when the bsod appears, the top of the page will say: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR. I have tried a system recovery and reinstalled everything but that did not work. I also browsed the forums here and installed Spyware Terminator, and although that found a Trojan or two on the PC, it did not solve the bsod problem.

Anything help you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated. I am set to take the Bar Exam in about 5 weeks and if I cannot get this resolved, I am going to have to purchase a new PC. If this is a serious problem, please let me know so I can make arrangements.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jajobra, 21 January 2009 - 11:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

The clicking is worrisome as this usually means a problem with the HDD, if you can open the laptop and find out what the manufacturer of the HDD is you can go to their web site and download their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn this to a CD and then boot from it to run the diagnostic, this may require you to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

You should also run chkdsk /r and /f, the following instructions will take you through the process.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

jajobra, you will want to check both choices.

Let us know what you find.

Edited by dc3, 21 January 2009 - 11:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jajobra

jajobra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

dc3 - Thank you for the quick reply.

I took your advice and attempted the scan. When I clicked 'Start', a window popped up telling me that for the scan to take place, I would need to restart my computer.

So upon restart, a page appears which says 'Disk Scanning Scheduled' or something of the sort. It also says to press any key to skip the scanning. Without me pressing any key, the computer acts as though a key was pressed and it says 'Disk Scanning Cancelled.' I have tried to restart multiple times, and it always acts as though I am pressing a key to skip the scanning. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

Let's try it another way.

Manually run Chkdsk

Start> Run and type in chkdsk /r (please notice the space between the k and the/) and then click on OK.

A black page with white printing will appear, type in Y, and click on Enter.

Chkdsk will run when the computer restarts.

Once the scan has completed run it again but use chkdsk /f.

Edited by dc3, 21 January 2009 - 01:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jajobra

jajobra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

dc3 - Thanks for the reply. However, it returned the same result. I even unplugged the usb for my wireless mouse and keyboard, but to no avail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users