Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 Junk Mail Filter False Positives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RoyX23

RoyX23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

Has anyone run across a problem with the Outlook 2003 junk mail filter putting legitimate emails in the junk folder?

I have tried adding senders and domains to the safe senders list, but still no luck. It seems like Outlook is just ignoring these lists. I also tried lowering the filter strength, but that had no effect.

This just started happening in the past month, after an update I believe.

So I'm stuck with shutting off junk filtering, re-installing Outlook 2003, Upgrading to 2007, or rolling back the update. Each of these options have big drawbacks in my mind, so I was hoping someone would have another idea I could try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Hi RoyX23, Welcome to BC. :thumbsup:
MS occasionally updates the junk E-mail Filter in Outlook with a more current definition of which e-mail messages should be considered junk e-mail. It is not uncommon for them to screw up your message filter. In fact, august update (kb956077) did exactly that. There was another release (kb955434) the very next day to fix it. There has not been another junk e-mail filter update since then until Nov. of last year, which "sort" of fits your timeline (kb959140).
Removing a junk e-mail filter update is not a real security risk. If it's causing problems, my first choice would be to remove it to see if that is actually the issue. If it is, simply waiting for the next update isn't going to hurt.
To see the list of junk e-mail filter updates for Outlook 03, go here.
There is also a limit as to how many filter rules can be applied in Outlook 03. If you exceed the limit, no more rules will be added no matter how hard you try. The solution is to remove them all and start from scratch again. If Outlook seems to be ignoring any new filters you add, then that is also a possibility though somewhat unlikely.
I totally gave up on e-mail filters in Outlook and have it disabled because it never ends. :flowers:
I use a third party tool that monitors my e-mail and allows me to view it right on server before I actually download it.
I can pick and choose what gets to my machine and what gets deleted before it reaches my systems. It's 100% effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users