Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP computer problem and new help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gutwrench88

gutwrench88

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

THIS IS THE ERROR THAT I GET. ANY HELP CAN DEF. BE USED.

the tuner hardware is either malfunctioning or not installed. please ensure that both the tuner hardware and a valid tuner hardware driver are installed.

i have a hp pavilion 2.80 intel 1 gb, window xp media center edition 2002 service pack 3

i think i have a corrupt file or files in my media center. how can i run a scan to fix it or do u have any ideas?? i can watch videos on it with no problems i just can't play my tv though it. my norton virus scan does nothing for it. need help asap.

(Moderator edit: modified Topic Title and Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 17 February 2009 - 12:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

Hi gutwrench88,

Have you checked the Device Manager for bad or missing drivers? To do that go to Control Panel >> System >> Hardware >> Device Manager >> Sound video and game controllers

Expand the entry and look for yellow shields. If there's a problem with the driver, have it update the driver.

Do you have all your updates for Media Center?

Why do you think you have corrupt files in Media Center?

Has it worked together with Norton or is Norton newly installed?

Zllio

#3 gutwrench88

gutwrench88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:56 AM

thats not the problem i checked. i can't get in my tv in the media center. i can play all the video's i want on my computer. but nothing though my media center it keeps showing this error. i can't even get on (my tv). i had it before last month and i rebooted twice and it will not allow me to get on (my tv). that is why i think its a corrupt media center file.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

Hi gutwrench88,

Generally that error indicates a problem with a driver. I asked you the additional questions about whether the updates to your Media Center are current and whether you've had Norton all along, because both of these can lead to computer issues as well.

Zllio

#5 gutwrench88

gutwrench88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:30 AM

as far as i know everthing is all updated. i even went on microsoft to make sure everything was updated and hp website too. so what would be my next step??? how do i double check my updates ?? i ran the pc doctor and the drivers were fine. just got norton 3 month before this problem started.

Edited by gutwrench88, 22 January 2009 - 10:27 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

Please provide us with the exact model of your system. This is necessary to see what device controls your TV.
If you're not sure, use this link to check it: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support/prod_info.html

With this information we can tell what drivers are needed for your TV card.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 gutwrench88

gutwrench88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

model# m7267c

also what tv tuner do i need. if that is my problem.

Edited by gutwrench88, 09 February 2009 - 10:56 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

The guide for setting up the TV connection, http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00267415.pdf

I think the appropriate procedure would be to check all the physical aspects of connecting and go through the setup process step-by-step.

Software guide for system: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00557196.pdf

System drivers: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=1154490

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#9 gutwrench88

gutwrench88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

do you think that my media center is corrupt?? if so how can i test it??

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

"Corrupt" means "damaged" in computer terms.

I know of no mechanism to test for corrupted files of any type, at any time. But when a normally functioning program or component goes wrong, it's safe (IMO) that the first premise should be that of file corruption somewhere, sometime. Most driver situations that users see...are due to file corruption (if the drivers had been bad from the start, they would never have worked properly).

Since it really doesn't take much for file corruption to occur, I think that's a valid "conclusion" at times...but there is no way to "test" for such.

A program or component either works as it should or it doesn't. If it doesn't, the guessing game begins for all of us.

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-C...n&id=817785

Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

Louis

#11 gutwrench88

gutwrench88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:26 AM

I GUESS I NEED TO BUY THE OPERATING SYSTEM CD. MY MEDIA CENTER IS SHOOT. I CAN'T REALLY DO ANYTHING I WANT IN MEDIA CENTER. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users