Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Ram and HardDrive upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DollyG60

DollyG60

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

Im looking to repair and upgrade an old laptop and then have some fun learning how to use linux.
my first question is do i have to buy and fit laptop model specific RAM upgrades, or in lehmans do they all fit?

the laptop is a compaq presario R3000
RAM 512Mb standard

i have found this link with model specific upgrades http://www.memory-up.com/Memory/CompaqPresarioR2880.html

i have also found these at a fraction of the price but have no infomation on what they do or dont fit http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5748724/-/Product.html

Along the same sort of lines, is the internal hard drive replaceable and are the all interchangeable, its currently got a 60GB hard drive.

off the top of my head its processer is 3.2 GHZ.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

Sorry but that ram will not work with your laptop. You need DDR (not DDR2) 200-pin, Pc2700 (333mhz) ram. I would recommend getting at least 1gb, but you could max it out by buying two 1gb sticks for a total of 2gb.

Finding out what kind of hard drive it is, do you have the exact model number, and let us know what processor you have. This is because I looked on the hp/Compaq website and there are many similar models.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

As far as compatable memory, find out for certain what type you need. (get the manual on-line).

You can also visit http://www.crucial.com and input the information or allow them to do a Scan. (they need to install an ActiveX component) They will tell you what is in their now and what you can get for it.

Then, check New Egg for that type and READ THE REVIEWS. They will often have comments by others about what machines it works or doesn't work in. The pricing is usually not too bad either.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users