Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp4280 not scanning !

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adamskiii

Adamskiii

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:46 AM

Hello,
I have a dell XPS m1530 with Windows Vista and just installed my HP4280 All In One softwhare, however the installation stopped at 96% and says "Fatal error during instalation" When you start the HP Digital Imaging Monitor a message comes up saying no HP device located. But it prints and copies great. I have seen the walkthrough to solve the problem on the HP website and other forums but so far no luck. Im tired of uninstalling and installing, changed printer cables and all. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Edited by Adamskiii, 21 January 2009 - 01:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:36 PM

Im tired of uninstalling and installing,

So did it hang at 96% with the reinstall or did it complete and just not work?

Try downloading the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Uninstall the printer with Add/Remove Programs( everything that's HP), Make sure it doesn't show in the printer folder
Run the utility and if anything HP shows, remove it. Then reinstall the unit. Make sure it's set to be the default printer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Adamskiii

Adamskiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:46 AM

Hi thank you,but that did not work. I did a complete clean up of all HP files and disabled firewall and all start up services. Same thing happens. Im waiting on a reply from Microsoft to see if its a prob with Vista on my system.

#4 Adamskiii

Adamskiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Microsoft sent me into the Regedit to edit and remove some printer files but that was no help. Maybe another brand is the next step.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

Well...you could try How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

Sometimes installed drivers get in the way of attempts to properly install others, resulting in damaged drivers or impaired function. Nothing to lose, other than a few seconds of time.

Louis

FWIW: You did uninstall all that extra software HP packages with devices...before you attempted to install the drivers, I hope. Uninstalling drivers alone may not cut it, especially with all-in-ones.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2009 - 04:07 PM.

#6 Adamskiii

Adamskiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

This is the latest, I created a new user in(windows Vista) and installed the Hp software again without attaching the printer when it asked me too,You can skip that, it continued to install 100% successfully.(no stopping at 96%) I then attached the printer and it continued to install the drivers untill it said "your device has been installed successfully. I then started Adobe Photoshop elements and selected import from scanner and it worked fine.
However the HP Digital Monitor program( HP Solution Center) that installed from the disk still does not work, It still sais no HP Devices found. So to sum it up, the scanner works fine when used from Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users