Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound card problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shnur

Shnur

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:16 AM

Since 1 month my computer randomly disables all sounds. Today I left my PC for 20 minutes, while having breakfast, and when I returned I couldn't hear anything. When I click on the sound button on the right bottom of the taskbar, I get this message :

There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices go to ...... This program will now close.

WhenI restart the comptuer it is all fine, but this happens occasionally and gets on my nerves. Please, if someone knows how to fix this disturbing problem, post your solutions/recommendations here :thumbsup:

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

Which soundcard are you using?

If you use PCI one, try to connect it to another slot.

Also, check if you are using latest drivers.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

I would go to Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and see if there is a yellow or red marking indicating a problem with Sound, Video & Game Controllers.

In your next post, if you can list the detail under Sound, Video & Game Controllers...that would probably be helpful.

If there is a yellow marking, this probably indicates that the driver for your sound card or chip...needs to be installed.

Even if there is no marking indicating such, I suggest uninstalling the audio drivers...rebooting...and then installing the audio drivers from either your drivers CD or from the website of the manufacturer of your system. The drivers files may be damaged.

What is the manufacturer and model of your PC?

Louis

#4 Shnur

Shnur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

Well....I got them installed from a CD that came with my computer a few years ago. TuneUp System advisor says my audio devices are Realtek AC97 Audio. Now I don't have a disc drive since I broke it :flowers: So if anyone can post a link from where I can install audio codecs it would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

I normally install the kLite codec package, http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

Just to make sure I understand...you now have your audio functioning as should be?

Louis

#6 Shnur

Shnur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:18 AM

Yes - it just happens from time to time. I already have k-lite pack...it's just that at random moments I cannot hear anything and I have to restart PC. I checked those functions from the `Run` suggestion - they all seem to be OK

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

If you have intermittent problems...your current audio drivers could be damaged...or your hardware may be failing/damaged.

I don't think that newer Realtek drivers are going to be a cure, but I would download same, just in case I decided to try to update the current drivers later.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users