Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring an unsaved works document.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chernabog617

chernabog617

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:44 AM

Greetings! As my attention was suddenly diverted while working on the Microsoft Works Word Processor that came loaded on my Windows XP computer , I mistakenly clicked NO when asked if I wanted to save the changes that I made to a document before closing it. After closing, I instantly realized that I badly needed to save the changes but when I reopened it, all the changes were gone. Is there anything I can do at all to find it? I tried a system restore but the closest automatic restore time was for 20 hours earlier which was well before I made the changes. Can I do a custom time restore, do I have any options at all? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Artemis

Artemis

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:37 AM

Unless you had saved the changes made, there is not a way to bring back the unsaved changes. Backups and custom time restores will only give you the saved changes that were present at that time.
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.
F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896 - 1940)

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

System restore will not effect any documents you may have had. Saving your work means just that; failure to save it means it is not stored ANYWHERE on your computer to even retrieve.
We have all done this and kicked ourselves about it. Look at the HELP file for Works, and see if there is an auto-save function for it; sometimes using auto-save can be a headache, but the one time it works you will be glad you turned it on. Alas, this will not help you now, but can prevent a repetition of this in the future.

Sorry about the bad news.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 chernabog617

chernabog617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

Thank you both for your replies. That's what I was expecting to hear. I'll definitely be more careful next time. Thanks again for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users