Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command.com "missing parameter"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oneof4

oneof4

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

After running Adaware, restarting, then running Spybot S&D (it found several instances of Zango), but couldn't "fix" all of them. It asked me if I would allow it to run again at startup to attempt to fix the problems, and I chose "YES". Now, upon attempting to restart, Windows makes it to the point where the desktop wallpaper appears and I get a message box stating that C:\Windows\system32\command.com is missing a parameter. I continuously hit the OK button, but it refuses to go away. I can boot into safe-mode fine. What can I do to fix this?

Best Regards,
oneof4.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

Go to Start, then Run and in the box type "msconfig", click the startup tab and scroll thru those until you find an entry that could be calling command.com and uncheck it. If that doesn't work try unchecking them all, restart, and then slowly start checking each one with a restart each time until you find the culprit. We need to figure out what's calling it and this is a good starting point.
-Nelson

#3 oneof4

oneof4
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the quick reply I.T. Works, but I can't get to the Start button (Windows is stuck at the wallpaper with the error message). Unless you mean that I can do it in safe mode?

Best Regards,
oneof4.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

Similar scenario, worth a look: http://www.fixya.com/support/t991765-c_win...d_com_parameter

Louis

#5 oneof4

oneof4
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

Thanks hamluis! The first solution makes sense (regedit), I'll try that. Thanks Again!

Best Regards,
oneof4.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Just a caution about using regedit...you should back up your registry before actually beginning to make any changes. It's possible impair the system by making erroneous changes in the registry.

Many folks use an application called ERUNT for this back up, ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users