Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop locks up until I lift it off its base.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 swrobbie

swrobbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

I have a Compaq NC6120 notebook, running XP, that completly locks up until I elevate the base. If not elevated the OS will not load, sometimes it won't make it past the POST. I lose cursor control, downloads stop then restart, all operations cease unitl I lift the base. Right now I have 2 screwdrivers supporting it off the table. I disassembled the fan and heat sink. The heat sink vent was completely blocked with dirt (dust). I figured this may have been a simple over-heating problem, but after cleaning it's still affected. I went into the BIOS and set the fan to stay on all the time. That did not help either. I did chat with a tech on HP's website and he recommended reseating the system board. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. The base of this notebook seems flimsy, I can actually flex the base and make the system lock up then unlock again. Could the system board be damaged?

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

Did you reapply thermal compound to the CPU when you reinstalled it? If you didn't then you could have simply traded on heat issue for another. The thermal compound enhances the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heat sink.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users