Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot from CD Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shmuly

shmuly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

While the BIOS does recognize the CD Drives (I have two), it isn't available in the boot order menu. I see the listing for CD Drives but there are no drives listed under it. In the hard drive section it does have both hard drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

I would suspect the cable became loose from the motherboard header or the cable is bad, seeing how it sees neither one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

Make sure that you actually can recognize the drives in BIOS. Also check to make sure that if both drives are on the same IDE cable that the jumpers are both set to Cable Select, or one is Master and the other is Slave. Also what kind of computer is it, sometimes on the boot screen you can hit one of the F keys to bring up a boot menu.
-Nelson

#4 shmuly

shmuly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

In the list of drives in the first page of the BIOS, both CD Drives show up. I checked the cables and nothing looked loose.

#5 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

Ok, well just set CD as the first boot device and try to boot from an XP cd. If it doesn't work in one try in the other. How old is the computer? Older bios's sometimes have problems booting from cd's. Make sure the cd you use is original and not a burned copy.
-Nelson

#6 shmuly

shmuly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

To be more specific:
On the first page of the BIOS (listing all the system components), the CD Drives show up.
On the page that configures the boot sequence, there is a tree showing the different media types and the items under that.

Example: Under the Hard Drives, I see both of my hard drives. Under the Floppy drives, I see my floppy drive. Under the CD Drives I see nothing. It's as if there are no CD drives installed (even though I was able to see both CD Drives on the first page).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users