Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davidhamlin

davidhamlin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:13 AM

Okay I am at the end of the line...

Basically this is what happens..

After Xp loads up, it goes to the blue screen where there are usually choices to choose user (i.e. admin, user1, etc)...

Well the thing is there are no choices for user, so it stays on that blue screen with the windows xp logo, but the mouse icon is there and movable, so I don't know...

Here's how it happened... After recently cleaning up my system with the free adware and antivirus demo's at download. com, I was experiencing pop ups again when using explorer(also use firefox, which is much better, but explorer is like that old fling, unforunatly with stds), anyways so I thought it might be time to use different antivir/spyware software, so I downloaded what I think was something like windowspro or something like that (going by the rating system, can't remember the name, and can't gain access to the comp, I think it might have been an all in one antivir/ spyware thing) and was suprised to have seen a bunch more files located on my computer, esp around 50 or so registry bugs...

Anyways, after removing the files, an alert came up saying some of the files would have to be deleted after a restart, so seeming okay, I went for the restart... Odd thing was my computer would refuse to restart, no matter what, so I went with a hard restart...

Then I experienced the problem, I tried to restart in last "good" configuation, every safe mode, and debug modes, but to no avail, they all lead to the blue screen after loading up windows.. Which is strange, I messed with bios alittle, but nothing there (meaning quick boots and such), and after a few restarts with no success, maybe a total reboot of xp was in need (in risk of lossing hundreds of songs, I am a music producer...), anyways, I went to restart with the xp cd in, and well then the cd/dvd started acting crazy, opening and closing, it would not stay closed, no matter what, so I tried shutting off while closed, but nothing, it just would open after being turned on...

Anyways, the motor on the dvd player died, I have another to install, and still am stuck at at the windows xp screen without any options...

Anyway help would be great, I am by no means a comp professional, but I have a nice understanding of computers, as this is a a 7 year old computer running xp from a 450 pentium II, and I know that everyone might say hey its time to buy a new comp, maybe but there was alittle more life for this comp, at least I would like to rescue the uncopied music files I created, literally a couple of years of works (not full songs, ideas and such, thus the uncopied to cd state)...

Anyways thank you for the help, I am currently on a different comp, a labtop, so I will be checking in on the replys daily... Thank you

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:46 AM

You're going to have to fix that DVD drive or at least get a CDROM drive in there so you can access the Windows CD. In the BIOS set the first boot device to the CDROM (or DVD) and reboot with the Windows CD in the drive. When the system boots it should give you an 'R" option to repair your system XP. See how that goes.

Provided your hard drive is physically OK your songs will be salvageable:
Either
1. Remove the hard drive and install it as a slave on another system. Then copy the files off it.
2. Network your system (not so easy under DOS) to your laptop and transfer the files to the laptop.
3. Too complex to write out now. I'm thinking about pendrives and USB under DOS.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 davidhamlin

davidhamlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

Thank you for the help..

Its funny because that was going to be my first step thus my trying to use the dvd/cd drive with the xp cd...

Hmmm...

I tried yesterday messing around with the cd drive, but it looks like I might have to take it apart, seems like the cd bay came off track, but still doesn't explain why there was a sudden need to open and close before coming off track, hmm maybe something fell inside (unlikely)..

Anyways thank you for the help, Worse comes to worse I will temporarily use the harddrive with another computer, and move the files that way... Other then that I feel it is almost impossible to gain access to my computer (even with dos)thus being unable to network with the labtop or the comp I am using now, a newer dell desktop...

Anyone know any key commands that might be used at the windows xp screen where you usually choose your user??? Has it ever happened to someone else? I will find the name of the antivirus/spyware I used before this happened, just to warn others (although it came highly rated, and looked like it would work fine, now this....

Okay time to try and get this cd thing working, so I can try a repair with the xp cd...

Thank You

David

If I can't get this Cd player to work, how would I install another without being able to access the computer (via add new hardware, plug and play, etc)... Would I have to boot from disk the disk that came with the cd first, then boot the windows xp cd?

Edited by davidhamlin, 25 May 2005 - 02:51 PM.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

If I can't get this Cd player to work, how would I install another

The computer BIOS will recognise a CDROM drive installed automatically and will be able to boot from the Windows CD without any other software loaded. Its the burning which needs additional software.

Edited by Rimmer, 25 May 2005 - 06:40 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users