Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen on Boot up - 0x00000024 (Possible multi-antivir programs issue?)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kitwe

Kitwe

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hello,
Let me first start by saying that I am going to try and be as informative as I possibly can, but at the same time, I have been working slightly blind, as the laptop in question is not mine, and I was not present when the issue first happened. I am mediocre technically inclined, at best, but for some reason am the one that people turn to when their computer goes on the fritz. I hope that I can get enough information through to allow for the help that I desprately need from those much more compitent than I am about these things.

Computer Information:

Dell Laptop Inspiron 1525
Memory: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
Hard Drive: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor

Issue:
As near as I understand, Norton Antivirus was installed on the computer, and someone installed MacAfee as well (I know this is bad. The person had been informed not to do this....but thought that they knew better? :thumbsup: ) I have no idea if this is the actual cause of the problem, but it seems likely, so neccessary to mention.

The computer now blue screens immediatly on boot up. I have the Windows XP Setup disk, and have set the BIOS to boot from the disk, however, that doesn't seem to fix the problem, as it will boot and still blue screen with the same Stop Error Message. When I booted from the disk, I was able to get to the recovery console, and went through the "issue tree" and performed all test under the "blue screen" branch (except for the ones that were taking 2 hours, if those were important, I can definatly go back and run them, but I'd like to know for sure that it is neccessary before doing so) and all tests passed. This did not fix the problem.
I cannot boot in Safe Mode. I cannot boot to last known good configuration. I am currently running a chkdsk /r on the C:/
I have no clue if I'm even taking the right steps. If this is even an issue that I could possibly fix. If getting the computer to boot and being able to uninstall MacAffee (which is what I've been trying to do) is anywhere near the fix to the problem.

Stop Error Message:

I know that it said STOP: 0x00000024 followed by a string of other codes. I will edit in the exact string when the chkdsk is complete, since I can't pull it up to view at the moment. I know that those strings of code are probably very important, so I will edit them in as soon as I possibly can.

Thank you very much for your time in reading this, and especially for any help or instructions that anyone is able to give.

Edited by Kitwe, 20 January 2009 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

Most of the time when you can't boot into Safe Mode it is a hardware problem. But to really narrow it down we are definitely going to need the information on the blue screen. You should see the actual error at the top in all caps and then the STOP code. Running chkdsk is a good place to start as it fixes most boot problems like unmountable boot volume and hard disk errors. Let us know if the problem persists. Good luck.
-Nelson

#3 Kitwe

Kitwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

Well, I'm an tentively excited, because the chkdsk completed rather abruptly (went from 75% which took two hours to get to straight to 100%) and it seems to be booting up correctly now, although it is still set to boot from the disk. So I am going to unintall one of the Antivirus programs, reset the bios to boot from the hdd and then reboot and make sure that it still comes up normally.

If luck stays with me, and chkdsk has fixed the problem and nothing I do reseting it back makes it go wonky again, then I am very sorry to have wasted your forum space. If not, I will be back with a new post.

A quick question, I now have the choice of either removing Norton or MacAfee, and i'm wondering which would be better. I think both are paid for subscriptions, so either way these people have wasted some money, but I know that I found some bad comments regarding Norton today while researching online, and I thought that I had heard bad things about MacAfee, although I'm known for getting names confused.
So, which would be best to keep, and which is better to boot?

Strike that. I'm not even seeing Norton on this computer. :flowers: I have no clue what was the cause of the problem. Maybe when chkdsk repaired, it removed it? It probably was never even on. :thumbsup: I'm just glad to be rid of this.

Thank you again so very very very much, just for being here and giving me piece of mind, at the very least. :trumpet:

Edited by Kitwe, 20 January 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#4 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Glad to hear that chkdsk fixed it. If you have an option in the BIOS to boot from the cd-rom then leave that one as the first boot device. It doesn't hurt anything and is much preferred by every tech to anything else. As far as the antivirus program, I would probably keep Macafee over Norton just because Norton will SERIOUSLY slow down a system. I don't particularly care for either of them although they both are decent scanners. Just my .02 cents.
-Nelson

#5 Kitwe

Kitwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

Thank you so much for your help and advice. I really appreciate it more than you know. ^_^ You are wonderful, and I hope you have a great day.
Thank you, again :thumbsup:

#6 Kitwe

Kitwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hello again :thumbsup:

It seems there were multiple problems with the computer, but when it was given to me last time, they only mentioned the inability to boot up. There are many strange errors going on here, and I have no clue what they all mean, so I am hoping that by listing the issues here, perhaps someone can locate the problem and set me down the right path or possibly hold my hand and walk me through the steps for fixing it.

The initial problem of the blue screen on boot up no longer happens.

Upon login, when the desktop is coming up, there is an error message that will pop up for a fraction of a second. I have no clue what the message said. It is gone before my eyes can even focus on it. I tried to get a screen grab of it, but the prnt scrn doesn't seem to work until the entire desktop loads.

This other error message pops up when the computer completes loading:
"Unable to launch application. Please restart your computer and try again. Error code: -2147023174"

I believe that this laptop came with LoJack for Laptops, which was never set up, as the window loads up and asks to start the install process. However, no buttons are clickable. They animate as if they are being clicked, but nothing happens, and the window remains up in the middle of the screen making navigating anywhere else very difficult.

When I attempted to open the Recycle Bin, I got the following message:
"The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?"
I selected Yes, and am now able to open the Bin folder. I asked the laptop owner what she had trashed recently, and she said nothing more than some graphic images.

Internet Explorer will open and seemingly work. However, when she opened firefox, it forced the laptop to crash. So she uninstalled firefox. We attempted to go to the mozilla site to get a fresh install, but the lime icon and any clickable "Download" links completely do not show in the IE window.

And lastly (that I have found), the computer requires me to turn it off twice. Start>Turn Off Computer> Restart the first time will close Google Desktop and the open lojack window, the computer will make the "shut down" beep, but will not complete the shutdown until I go through the Turn Off process again.

I have no idea what could be causing all of these issues.
Any help in getting to the bottom of this is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#7 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Sorry to hear that. Let's try again, but it's very strange. Boot into Safe Mode again and go to Start, Run, then type "msconfig". Go to the Startup tab and click disable all and then click on the Services tab, check Hide Microsoft Services at the bottom and then disable everything you see there. Restart and see if everything seems ok. If it does, you have to repeat those steps but turning each one back on until you find what's causing the issue.
-Nelson

#8 Kitwe

Kitwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

Thank you for your amazing response time!
Well, another issue seems to be happening.
I booted into safe mode as you instructed, and was given the option to log in as admin or the owner's account. I chose Admin, and everything seemed to load into safe mode correctly...except for the Start bar. So I went back and logged into the owner's user, and this time the start bar did load, and I made my way to msconfig and followed your steps, but it would not let me make the changes as the user account didn't have Administrative powers. Is there a way that I don't know of to get to the start>run if the bar is not showing?

-edit-
And one more thing that I noticed, don't know if it's important, but when booting into safe mode, the OS choice said XP Professional, although this was purchased with supposed XP Home and Student.

And just for information's sake, here are the processes that are running in the Task Manager while in safe mode
taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe <-Could that be the Sasser worm? Or is it just the innocent file that the worm attacks?
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
System
System Idle Process

-update-
While poking around t he Task Manager, I found the "Run" command, so I am currently unchecking as told.

Edited by Kitwe, 22 January 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#9 Kitwe

Kitwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

Alright, I was able to uncheck all of the unneccessary startups, and rebooted. None of the previous errors popped up, which are giving me hope, but there is one strange issue that is still happening. The firefox website not showing any of the links. It's not crucial at this point, but it's so odd that it worries me. Could it be as simple as needing to update quicktime or javascript or something silly like that? the Safari site, Yahoo site, and others seem to load completely correctly, so I'm completely baffled on that front.
I'll start turning on one startup app at a time and report back here with anything that I find.
Thank you for guiding me :thumbsup:

#10 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about firefox at the moment, that's a little bit farther down the list. It's good that you were able to uncheck all the startup entries. As soon as you find the one causing the error turn it back off and then post the name and location here. Maybe we can narrow down the origin of it. Anytime I see the lsass.exe running I run a virus scan. You can learn more about that in the Am I Infected section of the forums. It sounds as if you may still have an infected OS.

Happy to help.
-Nelson

#11 Kitwe

Kitwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

Alright,
that was painstakingly long :thumbsup: But I finally got the two errors narrowed down.
The first error to pop up (the one that closed before I was able to read):
I caught a glimpse of it as soon as I rebooted after checking it's file's ticker. The title bar had ".NET Framework", and the file that caused the error was ifrmewrk, command "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe"/tf Intel PROSet/Wireless, location SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The file causing the "Error code: -2147023174" was sprtcmd, command "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe"/P DellSupportCenter, Location SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

-edit-
I haven't planned on touching anything until you got a chance to look at the findings (they really mean nothing to me, but maybe they'll help you diagnose the problem), but I had a look around, to see what I could find on these two files. Seems sprtcmd is an unneccessary and flawed Dell support program, and most seem to think it's completely safe to uninstall it?

It's not a threat, Sprtcmd.exe is part of a Dell Support utility program and it's a real nuisance, judging by the number of emails I get mentioning this problem, which seems to have got worse since the release of XP Service Pack 3. You don't need the Dell program so get rid of it, but first you have to shut it down. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Select the Processes tab (In Vista select Task Manager first), find ‘sprtcmd' on the list, select it and click End Process. Now go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features in Vista), locate Dell Support Centre and click Remove.

I'm not going to actually begin any steps though without a knoweledgable eye giving it a once over ;)

ifrmewrk seems to have something to do with the Wireless, but i'm really unclear on that and whether or not it's corrupt or should just be removed...so I'm just sitting tight. I wonder if it's even a serious issue, as the message pops up and immediatly disappears, is it even a problem? Or is it something like a momentary notice while it's detecting the WiFi?

Edited by Kitwe, 23 January 2009 - 08:37 PM.

#12 Kitwe

Kitwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

I am getting pressured to be "done" with this laptop, so I decided to move past the two issues above and see what else, if anything that I could find. I attempted to open McAfee to run a virus scan, and the program will not open. So I decided to attempt to uninstall it and install a free antivirus (AntiVir), but I never got that far. After clicking on the McAfee Security Center Change/Remove button, I get a blank window. It seems whatever blocks the lime download button on Firefox blocks any and all important information. There are two buttons in the lower right corner which seem to be clickable, but I don't dare click on them without being able to see what they are.

After poking around some more, I am beginning to feel as if this is a lost cause. Images that should open in paint, won't. Images deleted from the desktop do not enter the recycle bin. It is as if something is reseting the paths. I just spoke with someone who said that there was a virus that had this sort of behavior. This laptop is only two months old, but given that it seems they thought that they had Norton Protection when they in fact did not, I am now leaning heavily towards this being one heck of an infection. I cannot run online virus scans (the windows blank out) and do not know what to look for to even verify that this is the problem.

Any suggestions at all? :thumbsup:

Edited by Kitwe, 23 January 2009 - 09:34 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

Punt...clean install, start from a good base...teach the owner the value of routine, systematic backups.

Unknown multiple issues...you could spend a lifetime trying to track them down...and, subsequently, counteract the damage done by the problems or repair/elimination of the problems.

You could also try to teach safe computing practices...but systematic backups might be something that might actually get accomplished.

Funny how owners/users always want a "quick fix" when they probably could have quickly overcome the scenario if they had a recent backup or utilized System Restore. SR has its problems and shortcomings but it's certainly a better posture than just pretending that nothing will ever occur...which might make the system inoperable/useless in it's present state.

Louis

#14 Kitwe

Kitwe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Thanks very much for all of your help, and for giving opinions and advice on the situation. I've already tried to instill in the owner a few of the basics since this all began. I'll definatly do a more thurough job, now.

Since I believe the machine is still under warranty, I'm going to have her send it back to them and save any files that they can and do a fresh install, as this has surpassed my level of know-how. Let the big boys handle it. :thumbsup:

Thank you again for your time and help :flowers:
As much as I love you guys, I hope I don't have reason to return ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users