Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL falls off internet intermitently - won't stay connected

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Laffnmule's Lode

Laffnmule's Lode

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

Both my mother and I have an annoying intermitent problem with staying connected to the internet. We have broadband DSL (from our telephone company), which works fine on some days, but on other days every few minutes we will lose internet connection.

My mother's Windows 98 computer is hard wired to the modem and router. My Windows ME computer is wireless to the router. We both have IE6, though my mother sometimes uses FireFox. My mother's computer is on the desk with the modem and router; while my computer is in the next room.

Our router is a Linksys 2.4GHz 802.11b Wireless-B Model No. BEFW11S4, with 128-bit encryption. I receive using D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 wireless USB adapter.

The work around that our ISP told us to use is to shut down the computers, turn off the modem, disconect from the router, wait two minutes, then reconnect and turn every thing back on. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. This way is a big hassel when we are trying to do work online.

It is particularly annoying to have just finished composing a forum post,then when trying to load it to find that we are no longer connected to the internet!

Is there any way to avoid being disconnected from the internet so often?

Edited by Laffnmule's Lode, 20 January 2009 - 08:02 PM.

Laffnmule's Lode

eMachines EZ1601-01; Intel Atom processor N270, speed ?; 1 GB RAM DDR2; 160 GB HDD; Built-in Graphics; Linksys Wireless Router, DSL modem; Windows XP Home Edition with SP3; mostly Google Chrome 16.0.912.77m, also IE 8.0.6001.18702; Yahoo Mail; Microsoft Security Essentials

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users