Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

Hi

I'm interested in setting up Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire 6920G-6A3G25Bn laptop. I think my laptop has a configuration that can handle it. At factory settings, it came with a 200Gb hard drive that is partitioned into 2 even 100Gb parts. One came with the Vista installation and the other is currently blank. Would it be a good idea to do this? I want to be able to have a full and complete working installation but still be able to use my Vista partition and be able to format and remove Win7 completely when the Beta is no longer usable and be able to come back to my current setup. Is this a reasonable idea? Anything I'm missing?

Experienced help always appreciate. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

In theory this should work for you. But. if you're just experimenting with it, I'd suggest installing Microsoft's free Virtual PC 2007 and installing the beta in there (I did it with the M3 build with no problems). That way you can play with it as much as you want - and the stuff will be right there inside of Vista for you to access (and you can store the virtual machine on the extra partition so it doesn't take up the space on your primary partition).

As with any OS install, make sure you check to see if all the drivers are installed and operating correctly.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:05 AM

I see. So what would be the benefits of doing such a thing - I'm guessing it limits the amount of damage it can do if anything goes wrong? Also does this place any limitations on it or will I be able to use it fully and complete as much as I would should I install it to the spare partition?

#4 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

I installed Win7 in a virtual machine (virtualbox) and I think the only limitation I've found was that you can only have Aero Basic (you don't get transparent title bars and stuff)

#5 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

It does run a tad slower in a VB.

557851.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users