Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix causes loss of file extensions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 chadi

chadi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hi all,

So I was using Combofix and it prompted me to download an update. I did, figuring I could trust it, and when I did I lost all of my file extensions. I of course went back to a previous system restore point and everything is fine now. But I am afraid t use Combofix anymore. Has this ever occurred to anyone before? Is there some kind of virus attack that claims to be an update for Combofix? I am battling with the Vundo Trojan Horse. It is under control for now but I am keeping an eye on it. Anyways i just wanted to check and see if anyone has ever heard of this or if this should be looked into. Thanks to all for all you help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hi chadi and welcome to BC!

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

I think you have seen why we give this warning.

As far as I know, there are no viruses posing as ComboFix updates. If you are having issues with ComboFix, I recommend one of two paths.
1) View this guide: How to use ComboFix
2) Follow this guide and post a DDS log in the HJT forum.

That's about it. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to help you in any way I can.

rigel
BleepingComputer Forums Moderator