Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Screen Laptop Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nforcer06164

nforcer06164

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

I'm running a dual screen setup in Windows XP on a Dell E1505 laptop. Both screens are running at their maximum resolution of 1440x900 (laptop, primary) and 1280x1024 (external, secondary). I have extended desktop on so both screens display differently. When I close my laptop, the secondary screen switches to the primary screen.

I have many problems with this. Most prominent is the issue with icons on my primary display. I have many icons on my desktop and use them frequently. When I close the screen, the external display "squishes" my icons and when my laptop is re-opened, the "squished" icons do not reset. If I want to watch a movie by dragging a media player onto the secondary display, I cannot close my laptop as it will switch to the primary.

What I'd like to know is how I might be able to lock my primary display and not have the secondary screen switch without having to change a setting every time (like disabling the second before closing the laptop). My graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1300.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

Try using a program called Ultramon it has several features that make working with multiple monitors easy. It should do what you are trying. There is a free trial before you buy.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 nforcer06164

nforcer06164
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

I found a way to fix some of my concerns using an updated graphics card driver (which required a third-party hack) and hotkeys, but this might fix everything for me! Thanks a million!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

Glad I could help :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +