Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP OfficeJet 6210 - Scan Feature Will Not Work But Everything Else Does!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CARLIE23

CARLIE23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am having a major issue with my HP OfficeJet 6210. I just recently installed Vista on my Sony Vaio Laptop. I have since decided to reinstall my OfficeJet 6210 so that I can scan my documents and have a printer set up at my home office. I installed the software from the HP Site and did the full install. I received an error that the install had been complete. Once I plugged my all-in-one unit in (through USB Cord Five Feet in Length directly from Printer to Laptop - NOT through a docking station), it said that drivers needed to be downloaded. I did so and they all downloaded except for hte OfficeJet 6210 one which said FAILED.

I have been on chat with HP for two days now and have uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted Registry Keys, completed disk clean up, cleared temporary files, tried scanning through MS Paint (The 'From Scanner or Camera' Option is greyed out), Etc.

I am still getting the same errors:

1. When I click scan, it says "An Error Occurred While Communicating with the Scanning Device. Please ensure the device is connected properly."
2. When I attempt to install the drivers through Plug and Play, it says that it encountered a problem and that 'the required section was not found in the INF'.

HP Support has not been able to figure the issue out and has forwarded me on to a supervisor which is allegedly going to contact me in two to three days. UGH!

If anybody has any thoughts or words of advice, I would really really appreciate it!

Thank you!!!!

Carlie Kathleen McChesney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

Did the scanner/printer work properly with Windows XP? Could be a problem with their drivers for Vista. I can't help much but there seems to be an on going problem with Vista and that scanner/printer. Hopefully others or HP can shed some light on the subject.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 CARLIE23

CARLIE23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

Hi Chad,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the printer did previously work with XP, however, I want to say that I have used it before with my other computer which had Vista as an OS, but I could be making things up now. :thumbsup:

I am so frustrated with this thing.... UGH! BUT, I appreciate your response! I will look forward to somebody else perhaps having a solution!!!

Thanks Again!!!

Carlie Kathleen

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Did HP refer you to this document at all?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=85648it

I know it says for XP, but I think most of it applies

Also:
Try downloading the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Uninstall the printer with Add/Remove Programs( everything that's HP), Make sure it doesn't show in the printer folder
Run the utility and if anything HP shows, remove it. Then reinstall the unit. Make sure it's set to be the default printer

Edited by garmanma, 21 January 2009 - 06:38 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 CARLIE23

CARLIE23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

Yes, I tried EVERYTHING that HP recommends and to be perfectly honest, I am pretty much done with them... It might be more of a Vista issue, but HP's customer service is TERRIBLE!!!

I found on a few more sites several more options to try - all with no avail. I moved everything from the Twain file to my desktop as that was an option suggested and also found the hpqscnvw folder and created a shortcut on my desktop but that just says that my scanner is not connected properly. I dont know what to do. I am so frustrated at this point.... UGH!

I have no idea what to do. I am uninstalling and reinstalling once again...

#6 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

Do you have the original installation software disks? I've often found that the drivers that HP offers on their site are not as reliable as the ones that come packaged with the actual hardware.

I've also discovered that some manufacturers make scanner drivers specific to the hardware (I know Canon does this). For instance, one of my classrooms has 3 identical Canon model 4400F scanners. A power surge fried one of them. We ordered another scanner, unpacked it and hooked it up. It didn't work, though, because the scanner needed to be reinstalled since the driver that came in the box with the new scanner was specific to that particular piece of equipment. Maybe this is also the case with the HPs, so you need your original installation disks.

You're correct that HP's tech support is marginal at best (they once diagnosed my printer as dead, when in reality I repaired it and it lives to this day).

Hunt for your original drivers and give that a shot, if possible. At this point, you have nothing to lose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users