Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Odd Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Perfect Sin

Perfect Sin

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

Hey can you help me out? I'm trying to figure out why certain search engines, on the internet, don't function on my mom's user account. She uses Internet Explorer 6.0 and as far as i know it was like an overnight problem. Just one day, search engines stopped working. There are 5 other accounts on the computer, none of which have this problem. Also, when she uses Mozilla everything works perfectly. So i know it's gotta be something with IE. My OS is WinXP Professional.

If you're not as mind-boggled by this as i am, can you help me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:26 PM

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by IE not functioning?
Does it launch, can you go to different pages, but they do not load?
Do you get any error messages when this happens?
Did you install anything yesterday that might have caused this problem?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Perfect Sin

Perfect Sin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:37 AM

What i ment to say was the Internet functions. It is certain search engines on the Interent that don't, for some reason. Like take Google for an example, on her account using IE Google's start page will load, but if you type anything in to search for it, Google becomes unresponsive and doesn't search. I want to make sure you know that all search engines don't work in IE on her account But Mozilla Internet Browser wroks perfectly.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:05 AM

Do you regularly clean the temporary internet files on this machine? In IE go to Tools>Internet Options>General Tab>Delete Files>Check off Delete all Offline Content and click ok then ok. Also, consider using a Temp file cleaning program like CCleaner to remove clutter. CCleaner includes a registry cleaner (Issues tab) that is best avoided unless you have identified a specific problem with the registry.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Perfect Sin

Perfect Sin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:32 PM

That didn't work, but i needed to clean out those files badly...

So a more updated form of my problem. I can access any search engine, and site will load properly. (I will use my Google example for this)

once the page loads, however, nothing on that page is responsive. I can type stuff into the search browser, but if i hit Search or press "Enter" nothing happens. Also none of the tabs or links respond on that page either, like Images for example. It's really weird. All other non-search engine pages function properly though.

Again there are 5 accounts on this computer. 1 of them has this problem. And IE is the only web browser that has that problem on that 1 account.

Plz help ME!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users