Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get rid of Spyware Guard 2009?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Penners

Penners

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

I've spent a fair bit of today on the phone to a friend, whose XP Home computer has been invaded by Spyware Guard 2009. In case you don't know this nasty, it's one of those phoney antispyware packages that puts several false malware files on your computer, then scans the computer and reports that it's found them. It then offers to remove them if you buy its full version. If you don't do so, then its scan function keeps restarting every few minutes.

I'm afraid my friend allowed this thing to install itself (but he hasn't yet bought the full version, thank goodness).

I've used msconfig to disable Spyware Guard in his startup folder, but this doesn't seem to made any difference at all.

Using Add/Remove programs and running the Spyware Guard uninstaller does nothing. We did this once, and now it's simply disappeared from the Add/Remove Programs list of installed software - but it hasn't uninstalled.

Bleeping Computer's advice page says it can be removed with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, so I suggested that my friend should download that and run it. He's downloaded it, but he can't get its installer to run (maybe blocked by Spyware Guard?). When he double-clicks the executable, he just gets the hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing.

So I talked him through running System Restore, back to a date before this nasty appeared, but that won't run either. SR goes through its restore point selection wizard OK, until you tell it to proceed - then nothing happens. We also tried SR in Safe Mode - same result.

I've thought of using Last Known Good Configuration, but I'm not sure that Windows will recognise its current condition as a bad configuration.

Does anyone have any ideas for removing this flippin' thing, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kalibr

Kalibr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

My daughter's laptop was recently infected with Spyware Guard 2009 as well.

I have tried everything possible including system restore, disabling processes, deleting .dll files, and deleting registery entries, but to no avail. I have tried installing several removal tools that promise a fix, but they either won't install or they can not download necessary update files. If anyone has any fix for this pesky trojan, please reply. THANKS!

#3 Penners

Penners
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

Kalibr

I'm going over to my friend's house tomorrow, to see whether I can get rid of this darned thing for him. I've got several things to try, but was hoping for more help from this forum.

If I have any success, I'll let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users