Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with internet connection

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rush Autos

Rush Autos

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

Hey ya'll, My name is Rush and I am new to this bleepingcomputer thing. But what better time to get myself acclimated by asking a question that is giving me a serious headache.

K, here is the deal.

I have a Dell Demension 4600 desktop computer (windows XP home, 1024MB RAM, 80 Gb HD, 2.8 Gb Processor, Radeon 9600XT video, SOundblaster audigy2 sound). SO this computer has some power. It is protected by McAfee virus scan and firewall, sygate personal firewall (freeware version), spybot, adaware, and spyhunter 2.0. This computer is all well and good right now. Here is the problem:

I have just arrived home from college and i want to connect to my parents Hispeed comcast cabel modem. WHen i connect my parent's computer to the modem i connect to the internet just fine but when i try to hook up my computer to it i have a limited connection and cannot access the internet at all. I have tried to "repair" the connection but that fails to reestablish my IP number. I have also tried to establish a new connection but that fails as well. I am totally baffelled and dont know what to do.

The only thing i can think of is that because i had to reorganize my connection to the internet to establish a connection to my college mainframe it has done something to my connection to make it not work. HELP ME! any ideas??

-Rush

MOD EDIT - Topics Merged to avoid confusion over attempted remedies - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 25 May 2005 - 05:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hi Rush and welcome to BC

The first thing you need to do is to remove one of the firewalls. Go to Start>Run> type in msconfig and under the startup tab remove the checkmark from one of them . They are no doubt conflicting with each other. I can't think of a worse combination than Norton (Sygate) and McAfee running at the same time.

Also, to check your connection, go to Start>Run> type in cmd and in the box that opens type in ping www.google.com or any pingable website address and if you get a reply you will know you have a connection.

Are you connected directly to the modem or through a router?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Rush Autos

Rush Autos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the welcome Leurgy

OK im back after checking my computer and here is the deal.

-I am running directly from the cable modem, no router is involved.

-I disabled sygate and my windows firewall and no help.

-I attempted to ping google.com and a few others and no response however when I go to "My Network connections" it says I am connected and running at 100.0 Mbps. I am sending packets but not recieving them.

-I also ran ipconfig and there is no connection-specific DNS suffix or number for a Default Gateway.

Thats all for now if there are any other questions that you need answered to help me let me know! Thanks again for the help!

-Rush

#4 Rush Autos

Rush Autos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

Hey ya'll, My name is Rush and I am new to this bleepingcomputer thing. But what better time to get myself acclimated by asking a question that is giving me a serious headache.

K, here is the deal.

I have a Dell Demension 4600 desktop computer (windows XP home, 1024MB RAM, 80 Gb HD, 2.8 Gb Processor, Radeon 9600XT video, SOundblaster audigy2 sound). SO this computer has some power. It is protected by McAfee virus scan and firewall, sygate personal firewall (freeware version), spybot, adaware, and spyhunter 2.0. This computer is all well and good right now. Here is the problem:

I have just arrived home from college and i want to connect to my parents Hispeed comcast cabel modem. WHen i connect my parent's computer to the modem i connect to the internet just fine but when i try to hook up my computer to it i have a limited connection and cannot access the internet at all. I have tried to "repair" the connection but that fails to reestablish my IP number. I have also tried to establish a new connection but that fails as well. I am totally baffelled and dont know what to do.

The only thing i can think of is that because i had to reorganize my connection to the internet to establish a connection to my college mainframe it has done something to my connection to make it not work. HELP ME! any ideas??

OK im back after checking my computer and here is the deal.

-I am running directly from the cable modem, no router is involved.

-I disabled sygate and my windows firewall and no help.

-I attempted to ping google.com and a few others and no response however when I go to "My Network connections" it says I am connected and running at 100.0 Mbps. I am sending packets but not recieving them.

-I also ran ipconfig and there is no connection-specific DNS suffix or number for a Default Gateway.

Thats all for now if there are any other questions that you need answered to help me let me know! Thanks again for the help!

-Rush

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:27 PM

I'm surprised it ever ran at all with three firewalls!

Try this:
Right click on "my network places"
click "properties"

right click "local area connection"

right click "Internet Protocol (tcp/ip)

click "properties"

check "obtain an ip address automatically"

check "obtain a dns server address automatically"

If that doesn't work, here's a webpage that may provide assistance.
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/index.asp

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 May 2005 - 10:42 PM.

#6 Rush Autos

Rush Autos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:39 PM

and then what after shutting off the modem

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:45 PM

and then what after shutting off the modem

Reboot it, then reboot the computer.

#8 Rush Autos

Rush Autos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

nothing

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:05 AM

If you are connected to the cable modem via ethernet cable the modem must have an IP address (probably 192.168.0.1). What happens when you ping that?

Are you using the same cable as works with the other computer?

Are you sure your ethernet port is working?

What make and model of cable modem is it? Do you have an installation package?

Under Network Settings, in Local Area Connection Properties, select Internet Protocol properties. You should have Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS Server Address automatically selected. is that the case?

(Feeling my way)

Edited by Rimmer, 25 May 2005 - 03:18 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 Rush Autos

Rush Autos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:12 PM

- Yes the cable modem is connected to the port via an ethernet cable. When the cable modem is pinged it times out all four attempts to send a packet.

- Yes i am using the same ethernet cable with both computers.

- Yes the ethernet port works becaue i could access the internet at my college and i used it only 2 days ago.

- it is a Moderolla SURFboard Model: SB5100. yes and whenh i tried to fire that up it did the same thing to me as when i attempt to repair it.

- Yes both of those were and still are checked off.

I have tried everything everyone has suggested and so far nothing. I am still at the same place I was two days ago when I came home to this problem. THanks again for attempting to help me. Please don't wquit on me.

-Rush

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:45 PM

Try to ping 127.0.0.1. Does it work?

Boot XP into safe mode with networking. Can you ping anything? Access anything?
Trying to eliminate all the other stuff you are loading at start-up....

Explain this further:

Post again.

Joshuacat :thumbsup:
JC

#12 Rush Autos

Rush Autos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

Here is the deal on the college internet connection. At my school we connect to the internet via a jack in the wall which is connected to the school's network (access to the internet, access to network places and computers connected to the network) It is much the same as the internet at most businesses and other colleges. The catch with this connection is that the network itself is behind a firewall, of which i know nothing. The only thing i know is that it takes a few days for the internet to work once we get there and if your connection doesn't work on the first try you need to take it down to "computer help services" (which is a *bleeping joke in my opinion. a ferret having a seizure could help me with my computer needs mroe than they.) After several trips with my pc down to the "help desk" they finally got my connection to the network working. This is the part that i am left in the dark as much as the rest of you. I know nothing of what they actually did to my computer. I don't know what they changed, i don't know what they added, removed, replaced, wiped their ass with, nothing. Not to mention that my connection to the cable modem at my parent's house worked just swell until they fiddled with it and now i just get the "limited or no connectivity to network" signal every time i try to plug it in.
Any ideas on what the effe they did to my computer?

By the way pinging 127.0.0.1 does work as if i am pinging my own ip address the connection with that address is fast and flawless.

I continue to get this message every time i try to repair the connection with the internet here:

YOu might not be able to access the internet or some network resources.  This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to this computer.

Any ideas on what that is talking about?

Oh and while on the subject of the school network deal; My girlfriend and roommate who had to connect to the same school network had no troubles connecting to their internet at home...WTF. Am i just wicked screwed up here?! Man, i need some help...thanks again for the aid ya'll.

-Rush

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:01 AM

I made a guess that your modem was 192.168.0.1 can you confirm that?

If it is try changing your LAN, TCP/IP properties. Assign a static IP of 192.168.0.55 and set the gateway to 192.168.0.1 and turn off DNS and DHCP.

Then see if you can ping the modem and who knows what else...

ALSO - do in ipconfig on your parents PC and duplicate the settings on your own machine. Your ISP may only allow specified PCs connected to the cable.

Edited by Rimmer, 26 May 2005 - 01:18 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#14 loslobo

loslobo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:28 AM

hey i am no expert i would guess and say that if you had gone into mcfee and checked whether it was allowing internet explorer access to the internet you could have saved a little time.i just had a similar problem with norton so i just enabled IE and presto internet again.

#15 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:27 AM

Just reading through the manual for your modem, it makes no mention of an IP address.

The manual for your modem

Here's the Windows set-up page for Comcast, I think this was already covered over the past few posts, you may want to double check these:

Windows Set-up for Comcast

If you make any changes, you probably should completely shutdown your modem down for a few minutes, power it back up, wait a few more mintues, then boot your computer.

Do you try safe mode with networking?
Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:

* Restart the computer.
* As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the boot menu appears.
* Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode with Networking menu item.
* Press the Enter key.

a ferret having a seizure could help me with my computer needs mroe than they

Hopefully, we are better than the ferret having a seizure... :thumbsup:
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users