Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd rom letter is gone

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Raner

Raner

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:56 AM

hey all :thumbsup:
os is windows xp pro 32 bit
Got a very bad virus on my pc a while back,got everything back to normal I thought.The problem I am having is that some how the cd rom drive letter that was assinged to it has changed to some other program that I don't know where it came from,it had to have gotton to my pc threw the virus,does anybody know what I have to do to repair the problem,note when I try to load a cd to my pc it does not see it.and the cd player /burner was ok before I got the virus.sorry for the lack of information on the problem but I am at work and the the pc is at home.Can supply more info when I get home tonight if needed. thanks Raner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Go to the Device Manager and click on the + in the box to the left of DVD/CD-ROM, the tree will expand and should list your CD-ROM. Right click on the drive and choose uninstall from the menu that drops down. Restart you computer, the installation wizard will recognize the drive as new hardware and will install it and assign drivers for it.

Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

Edited by dc3, 20 January 2009 - 12:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

thanks for the comeback dc3
I'll get on it when I get home tonight,and thanks again.I'll let you know how it went.Raner

#4 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

Well guys I uninstalled the cd device and windows saw it as new hardware and reinstalled and assigned it the proper letter "D" when I rebooted but still nothing I tryed a self booting cd of a game and I can hear the cd player/burner spinning but I get nothing on my monitor for some reason.Checked all the cable connections everything looks ok.Tryed a cd which requiers the xp wizzard and the same thing nothing the xp wizzard programs does not show up on the screen.Seems like something is missing of the registry,don't know what to look for.--thanks Raner

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

Two things to check, look in the Event Viewer and see if there are any error showing at the times that you try to use the optical drive.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

The second thing to check is to see if there are any errors under DVD/CD-ROM in the Device Manager.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

Errors will show up as a red X, warnings will show up as a yellow exclamation mark.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

thanks dc3 I'll check both items tonight and I'll post any error codes that show up.--later Raner

#7 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hi dc3 this is what showed up on the Event Viewer when I tryed to use the optical drive.
Not showing any error codes don't know if this helps!

Type-----------Date------Time----------Source------------------Category--Event--User

Information 1/21/2009 8:03:14 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/21/2009 8:03:08 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/21/2009 8:03:08 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM
Information 1/21/2009 8:02:37 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/21/2009 8:02:31 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/21/2009 8:02:31 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM

Event ID:7035
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service was successfully sent a start control.

Event ID:7036
The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service Service entered the stopped state.

No errors are showing in the Device Manager for DVD/CD-ROM drives. "PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM" is optical unit.
------------Thanks Raner

Edited by Raner, 21 January 2009 - 10:40 PM.

#8 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

OK. guys got the optical device to work but I'm still not there yet,what is happening is that it will not autostart.I have to go to explore and right click on "D"drive and as an example if I load a audio cd in the optical device is will show "D"drive audio cd if I right click and click autorun on the menu everything is fine it will play it,what do I have to do to get the optical device to operate automaticly as soon as it sees a cd is loaded.thanks Raner

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:15 AM

In Explorer view...right-click on drive, select Properties/Autoplay tab.

Express your preference.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 January 2009 - 10:15 AM.

#10 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

thanks Louis,will do.Raner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users