Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32.Zafi.B help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nick81

nick81

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

I got the Win32.Zafi.B infection the other day. I already had Malwarebytes installed, and scanned 20-30 times, with no results. Now, my internet connection is "restricted", with "little to no connectivity" and I cannot update Malwarebytes. My other anti-spyware/ anti-virus programs do not pick it up either. I've scanned with Malwarebytes in safe mode, with nothing detected. What should I do? I can't get on the internet on my computer, which runs Windows XP to download anything.. Help? Thanks in advance. It is the fake security center alert, didn't mention that. It actually shutdown my computer before I knew I had the infection, and when I turned it back on and logged on, the pop-up appeared for the first time..

Edited by nick81, 21 January 2009 - 08:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,902 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

Win32.Zafi.b is a name of a threat that you may see in a faked security alert message. This message mostly appears with Perfect Defender 2009.
It is likely that your MalwareBytes AntiMalware is missing a lot of updates. You can manually update by using a different computer and transferring to the infected one using a CD or other medium.

QUOTE: Simply download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the one of the links below. Double click the downloaded file to install the application on your computer. Once the application is installed, double click on the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware icon to start the program. When the application is open, select Scan and the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nick81

nick81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

Wait, so I download Malwarebytes onto another computer, and transfer it(with updates), to a CD, and then install it on my infected computer? How do I transfer it(once downloaded) onto the CD? Is there a manual way I can remove the infection? Also, if I need to post logs, how do I do that?(I'm new to the malware/virus stuff, haven't had it before)

Edited by nick81, 20 January 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#4 nick81

nick81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

I use CA Anti-virus and CA Anti-Spyware, in addition to Malwarebytes. None of them pick up anything, as they aren't allowed to update. When I clicked on my internet connection in the lower right-side taskbar, and tried to repair my connection, it tells me that there was an error renewing my IP address, and when I tried to troubleshoot connection problems on Windows Live Messenger, it told me that my "gateway is offline"....

Edited by nick81, 20 January 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#5 nick81

nick81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

I can't even download Malwarebytes onto another computer now and transfer it. Any suggestions? It seems I won't be able to post logs either, as I can't download the necessary program. Please, any help is appreciated...

Edited by nick81, 21 January 2009 - 08:19 AM.

#6 nick81

nick81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

HELP, PLEASE!

#7 nicalai

nicalai

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

my computer has the same virus. i have downloaded the antivirus program anti malaware and it just doesn't open on the infected computer. it shows as connected to the internet, but keeps redirecting the page when i go to google or somewhere else.

not sure how else to remove this awful virus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users