Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatability between 2 computers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JawOT

JawOT

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:23 AM

Hi everyone,

I have 2 desktops :

Compaq 5610F - motherboard MZN68-LA

HP 8300F - motherboard MCP61PM-HM

My question is can i interchange the processors between these 2 computers? My HP computer powers on but nothing else. Fans run but no video. Im thinking both the motherboard and processor are bad but i need to confirm that i can switch any part between these two computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my problem :

Computer powers on, fans run, no video or post or beeps. Here is a list of what i tried :

HP M8300F

I disconnected everything, cleaned heat sink, processor and reapplied thermal grease. Took all ram out except 1 stick, harddrive, and powered on. Fans run but no video,no beeps,nothing, also fans seem to be running really fast and really loud.

Tried all of these :

1. known working hard drive
2. known working ram
3. I took the processor out and put it on this motherboard - MZN68-LA (not 100% sure of compatibility)didnt boot up
4. I tried a known working processor from my other desktop which is a SR5610F. (not sure of compatibility) didnt boot up

Please any suggestions would be very helpful.

Edited by JawOT, 20 January 2009 - 10:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,083 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

From what I see:

a. There are various variations/models of the HP motherboard, with all supporting AM2 processors built on 65nm technology.

b. The Compaq unit has a CPU that is AM2 and employs 65nm tech.

If neither of the original configurations has been changed, the CPU from the Compaq appears to be compatible with the HP system.

FWIW: I (also) wonder why you don't leave it to HP, as expressed in http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7586_102-0.htm...ssageID=2957606

Louis

#3 JawOT

JawOT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

Well i purchased this computer off of ebay. Would the warranty still be good ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,083 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

I suppose that you would have to look at the terms of sale you agreed to.

I have never purchased anything on eBay, but the terms of sale are what would govern, in any case.

Have both of these systems ever worked properly?

The SR5610F also comes with a stock X2 4800 AM2 CPU...which means that, unless the CPU has been changed to something else...it should work in either system.

Louis

#5 JawOT

JawOT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Yes the SR5610F has worked perfectly. I tried putting that processor in the HP and it would startup and shut down instantly. Im pretty sure both the motherboard and the processor are shot in my HP but i just cant imagine the processor going. As far as the HP working it was broke when i bought it so im not sure of the history. I can get a board and processor for $100.00 so thats probably going to be the end result to this since nobody seems to have any suggestions that i havent tried.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,083 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

Well, IMO...a new (inexpensive) motherboard/CPU would have been first step if I had acquired a non-functional system. Pricing of such is pretty reasonable these days.

Maybe a new PSU also.

Louis

#7 JawOT

JawOT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

Louis,

Right now im trying to return the item because it was also damaged during shiping. If for some reason im unable to return i will be ordering a new MB and processor from NewEgg. Probably a power supply also and go from there with it. Thank you for all the replies.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,083 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

FWIW: I don't buy any computer parts which have had previous owners/users...I prefer to start out with the premise that new parts should function as they are intended, whereas I have no clue about the history of parts/systems obtained second-hand.

For the systems that I acquire by virtue of upgrades (owner purchased a newer system), I test to see if it boots Windows properly first thing. If not, I weigh how much I might have to spend repairing it...versus starting out with a different, new system which is not "the latest thing."

This causes me to have a number of cases and components that will probably never be used by me :flowers:. But I have plenty of spare parts I can use in an emergency or for troubleshooting.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users