Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

generated new user and other obnoxious problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sandorman

sandorman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

I recently reinstalled windows on a new hard drive and after installing it and a bunch of programs, I was going to defragment the hard drive - and it told me that the defragmenter couldn't run because chkdisk or scandisk was scheduled. I went one down (or is it up) to error checking and it said checkdisk FAILED. So I rebooted the computer because I figured it would do whatever it would do before windows loaded - which it did. PAGE after PAGE of stuff appeared on the screen. Fixed index this and that, all sorts of stuff, and then windows started, and it generated a NEW USER PROFILE! I had it set to have a default user called "user". It generated a new user profile called "user.sandor" In this new user profile, the windows "search for files or folders" utility does not work, that's the only limited functionality I've seen. But I shouldn't have to deal with it generating a new user profile and wasting 50 megabytes even so. This also produced file fragments in the root directory. (put in a directory called found.000 after scandisk ran - they're only 2.22 kB all together and just named file0000.chk through file0002.chk but Windows insists it would be very bad to delete them). It's a brand new SEAGATE 1 terabyte hard drive by the way, so the odds of it being the cause are probably a billion to 1. What I'd LIKE to do is delete the user.sandor profile and have it go back to using user - which is STILL THERE under documents and settings. There's "All users", "default user", "user" and "user.SANDOR". Another problem I'd like to fix if possible is that whenever I move directories, I'd like it to keep its original date information. The stuff I moved on December 25, 2008 says "folder created 12-25-2008 modified 12-25-2008" but I don't want it to do that, I want it to keep it as it was, 2003, 2004, whenever the folder was actually created. It did this before I reinstalled windows so I know it can be done but I don't know what setting it is.

One other thing - the windows search utility actually does work when I go to my computer and then double click on C: so it shows the root directory - it shows search for files and folders as an option to the left - but it doesn't work from the start menu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

<<So I rebooted the computer because I figured it would do whatever it would do before windows loaded - which it did. PAGE after PAGE of stuff appeared on the screen. Fixed index this and that, all sorts of stuff, and then windows started, and it generated a NEW USER PROFILE!>>

I've not found one other instance where anyone claimed that running chkdsk...resulted in a new user profile. Your conclusion about what created the new profile...may be wrong.

<<There's "All users", "default user", "user" and "user.SANDOR".>>

There are five sets of folders that are created as default Docs & Settings folders: All Users, Default User, Owner or some other username representing the person who installed XP (typically the owner), Local Service, and Network Service. If the person listed their actual name during the install, that name will appear in lieu of Owner.

Personally, I would not call these "profiles". To see the profiles on your system, I suggest going to Control Panel and clicking on User Accounts.

<<I had it set to have a default user called "user".>>

I'm curious as to how you did this, see comment above re default folders in Docs & Settings.

<<Another problem I'd like to fix if possible is that whenever I move directories, I'd like it to keep its original date information.>>

The date reflected as "created" for any file reflects the date on which that file/folder was introduced or moved or copied into the directory/folder it resides in. There are various utilities which allow manual editing of this date...but I don't believe it's capable of being changed to remain constant...as an inherent Windows function.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-managem...te-created.html

I would suggest running chkdsk /r (space between k and /) on your system, in an effort to eliminate/minimize what you view as problems with the file structure. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2009 - 12:45 PM.

#3 sandorman

sandorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Fine. Then they're not "profiles". You still didn't help me with my problem, whatever I call them. There are a total of 6 DIRECTORIES in Documents and Settings:

1. All Users
2. Default User
3. LocalService
4. NetworkService
5. User
6. User.SANDOR

User.SANDOR created Friday, December 26, 2008, 10:21:22 AM
User created Monday, December 15, 2008, 7:11:03 PM

For those ELEVEN DAYS, I installed programs on the new hard drive, from Matlab to firefox to dvd shrink to Microchip MPLAB to the CCCP codec, video drivers, hijackthis, ac97 sound, etcetera etcetera etcetera. I'd defragment the hard drive with it running as a slave on my old hard drive so that it could defragment EVERYthing, then I'd switch them back with the new hard drive as the master, and install more programs. For 11 days it ran with the profile User which I customized exactly the way I liked it. And then it had the nerve to generate user.SANDOR out of nowhere after being run, turned off, turned back on and rebooted many, many times.

ANOTHER PROBLEM I'd like to fix. Whenever I start it up, it opens the windows system32 directory and puts it on the screen when windows starts up. I can't see anything using hijackthis that would cause it to open this directory up whenever the computer starts up. I'd like to get rid of it doing that too.

I think that's about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users