Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

regedit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TonyMontana

TonyMontana

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

hi all. sorry if this is in wrong place. never posted before!

i try to run regedit from run. a black dos screen pops up and a message comes up that says "autoexec.nt missing" or something along those lines. i went online n found a solution for this. but then when i ran it again the black screen came up, went away and then nothing happened. i'm using xp and am having majore adware problems. ty for your help fellas!
"All men die. Not all men really live."-Sir William Wallace
"Enjoy yourself. Every day above ground is a good day."-Scarface 1983

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bizzyb0t

bizzyb0t

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:01 PM

What version of Windows XP are you using? Home? Pro? Corporate? Have you recently installed Service Pack 2?

Try this,

expand X:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Replace X:\ with your CD ROM drive letter.

or if you don't have the CD...

To verify whether you have the file, type "%windir%/system32/" in the address bar of an Explorer window. If there is no AUTOEXEC.NT file proceed as follows:

1. Browse to "%windir%/repair/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\repair")

2. Right-Click and Copy the AUTOEXEC.NT file

3. Browse to "%windir%/system32/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\System32")

4. Right-Click inside the window and Paste the file

How ever the problem may persist upon rebooting...

After a Windows XP SP2 upgrade you may encounter a message about either CONFIG.NT or AUTOEXEC.NT being "...not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications." It's possible the DOS 16-bit COMMAND.COM program and/or one of those files has become corrupted if you get this message. There is another possibility as well; described below.

Microsoft has a knowledgebase article on this. What it basically says is that you need to replace the files AUTOEXEC.NT, CONFIG.NT, and COMMAND.COM which are found in your Windows System32 folder with the same-named files found on your original OEM Windows XP CD-ROM. Use the steps above for expanding from the WinXP CD-ROM.

In addition to the CD-ROM, copies can also usually be found in the \Windows\Repair subdirectory.

The replacement should be a one-time fix; however, some versions of the Windows XP SP2 update have code that will automatically delete the AUTOEXEC.NT file if found in the System32 folder on the theory that all software should be 32-bit and not 16-bit. But, you might still want or need to run older programs and will need the AUTOEXEC.NT file to do that.

If this happens to you try copying the AUTOEXEC.NT file to the System32 folder under the Windows folder and then right click on it, select Properties, and check the Read Only attribute. This should work.

If it does not you will have to recopy the file to the proper directory after every restart of the computer. While a pain in the ass, you can automate the process using a batch file with a little work.

First, make a copy of the AUTOEXEC.NT file in a directory of its own on the C: drive (I'll assume it's in C:\MS_SUX\AUTOEXEC.NT for this example ). Make the file read only (right click on it, select properties, check the read-only box).

Now open a text editor (Notepad will do) and copy/paste in the following lines...

@Echo OFF
Copy C:\MS_SUX\AUTOEXEC.NT C:\Windows\System32\
Attrib +R C:\Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT

Save this file as C:\MS_SUX\FIXIT.BAT. Then, open an Explorer window and navigate the the C:\MS_SUX folder so you can see the FIXIT.BAT file. Right click on the file and drag it to your desktop and release. When asked, select the Make a Shortcut Here option.

Then, after each restart if the file goes missing again, all you have to do is click on the FIXIT.BAT shortcut and the file will be copied to the right place and marked read only automatically. Additionally you can place the BATCH file shortcut on your Quicklaunch bar, or place it in your Startup folder if the problem persists.

Note: Some versions of Windows XP call the Windows folder WINNT. If you have one of those, substitute WINNT for Windows in the above.

I hope this helps :thumbsup:
I tried for hours to come up with a signature and all I came up with was this.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:36 AM

Hello TonyMontana and welcome to BC.

am having majore adware problems

Your regedit problem is a symptom of your malware problems. Many of these programs disable regedit, msconfig and your Internet Options in IE (although you can sometimes access that from Windows Explorer>Control Panel). This is a self preservation tactic they use. If you can, delete your temporary internet files and see what happens.

Your best option right now is to submit a HiJack This log and to let our team guide you through the malware removal process. See How to submit a Hijackthis Log. Good luck with the cleanup.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 TonyMontana

TonyMontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Leury and Bizzybot! I have posted a hijack this log. I already tried to copy the autoexec.nt file bizzy, but it still wont work. Ty though! I appreciate your help.
"All men die. Not all men really live."-Sir William Wallace
"Enjoy yourself. Every day above ground is a good day."-Scarface 1983

#5 chrisnoskill

chrisnoskill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

Hi, Im also having the same problem with regedit not working. Think I picked up a virus and its totally messed it up. If you have fixed yours, is it possible you could sort my problem? thanks

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

What programs have you ran for adware and malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users