Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't recognise disk - no reason!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 luclancy

luclancy

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:09 AM

I have a new music software that I need to install on my PC, windows xp SP3. The PC is not recognising the disk, and yet, a computer which is identicle recognised it a few days ago and a vista will recognise it right now??? Is there a file missing from my PC??

The software is called Cubase Le4.

Hope someone can help...can't use my recording equipment until it works :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

The easiest way to rule the CD/DVD player out of the equation is to go into the BIOS and set the drive first in the boot order. Then try a bootable disk. If it works, then you now the drive is OK and it's a setting in the computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

Thanks garmanma.

Yes that seems fine, so I assume it's a setting on my PC...Any ideas where I should look for this setting???

Thanks again.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

I would try installing in safemode or, seeing how you have the CD, disconnect from the internet, disable you AV and firewall, And make sure no other programs are running
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

I have tried all of the above! Strange thing is...it recognised the disk briefly in normal mode with all security switched off, but error message saying windows can not install came up when I clicked on install!! Now it's back to not recognising it???
Any more ideas??
Thanks

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Dirty lens or scratch CD?
Try the install on another computer to see if it finishes.
Mark
Posted Image

#7 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

Garmanma..
It has completely installed on another pc with no problems at all???? Am I fighting a loosing battle here????

thanks.

#8 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

K, I've got a small update....right now, I don't know why, my PC has recognised the disk. It is displaying the title on the driver in MyComputer.. (Cubase LE 4 (E)) but when I click on it, it asks what program I want to open it with, but none of them work.
If I go into Start, explore. It gives the 'disk may be corrupt' message again....is there a specific driver I may need to download to read it maybe?? I have tried updating my current one but it is fully up to date and working properly!
Thanks.

#9 luclancy

luclancy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Garmanma, any more suggestions?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:59 AM

This could be a corrupted driver, try uninstalling the drive in the Device Manager and reboot the computer. The installation wizard will recognize it as new hardware and will reinstall the drive and find native drivers for it.

Edited by dc3, 26 January 2009 - 03:02 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

luclancy - I've had the same problem since I bought a second PC with Windows XP H/E SP3 installed.

I have to insert and remove a CD or DVD 4 or 5 times before the PC will recognise it's in the drive.

I'll give your advice a try, dc3.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users