Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Code 39 - I've tried everything! Anything else?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CynosureBCG

CynosureBCG

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:01 AM

Hello there,

For starters, I have a Sony Vaio VGN - FS640/W, I use Firefox 3.0.5. Specs: Windows XP home edition, service pack 3. IntelŪ PentiumŪ M processor 1.60GHz. 1.60 GHz, 504 MB of RAM.

I have a (haha, seems it got bleeped out, but I think you all may know what this says-->)Matbleepa UJ-840D cd-rom drive. So one day, about a month or two ago I suppose, it just stopped working when I tried to load a new printer CD..and noticed the CD wasn't reading. I went to open it up manually, and it wasn't in My Computer. I don't remember deleting/installing anything DVD-wise.

But here's what I've tried. I've tried something called 'CDGone', regedit -upper and lower filters, uninstall driver/re-install, update driver.

So...is there anything else I can do, and I don't have restore points because I had other problems before-hand and had to delete old restore points. And something other than re-formatting?

Thank you so much in advance! I appreciate it!

:thumbsup:

Edited by CynosureBCG, 20 January 2009 - 02:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

I think this could be a hardware failure or possibly a software problem with the operating system. In order to determine if this is hardware or software problem I would suggest entering the BIOS or Setup and making sure the CD/DVD is selected first in the boot order. Install the Windows XP disk or restore disk that came with the computer and see if you are able to boot from the CD drive. If you can boot from the CD drive it is probably a problem with the OS otherwise you probably have a failed CD drive.

#3 CynosureBCG

CynosureBCG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestion..I actually have done this. I had the CD in and started in bios, and it showed no sign of any CD Rom whatsoever. So a failed drive? A replacement?! hmm

Any other insights on this problem?

Thanks

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

If it's not showing in the BIOS, it's a bad drive, bad or loose cable, or a bad socket/interface on the motherboard
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 CynosureBCG

CynosureBCG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:15 AM

Ok, thanks for that, garmanma. Is there any way I could fix something like this myself? Order a new Drive? Open it up? What do you suggest I do?

Edited by CynosureBCG, 22 January 2009 - 01:16 AM.

#6 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

You may have to order a new one. No serviceable parts are inside optical drives. Also May I Suggest if you happen to have another computer around the house. Swap out the drives and see if that solves the problem. If the Drive is seen in the bios from the swapped drive. Then That would confirm a dead drive. Like garmanma said it could also be the cable. Sometimes they can get pinched or just plain out age and short out. I would thoroughly inspect the cable connectors and the lines themselves for any kinks or visible breaks. I hope you get this problem resolved.

I recommend just for DVD/CD-Rom drives. For 20 Bucks. The Asus model seems to be Ideal. I have 2 of these in an old Compaq That I revived from the basement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827135177

If you want something fancy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827136144 same price but burns CD's and DVD's for just 20 bucks as well

for laptops

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827118006

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827118005 <- this model is cheaper. Dose not burn DVD's/CDs just a reader

Edit:

Being that it is a laptop. Scratch the section that states about inspecting the cable. I guess you really can't since it's soldered to the motherboard itself.

Edited by Goldwyn, 22 January 2009 - 02:39 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users