Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whited dotted line across screen at startup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

Hi,

The other day when I booted the computer, which had been working fine, I got a blue screen that said windows could not load. The reason it gave was,

Partmgr.sys
Page_fault_in_non_paged_area

It suggested that the cause may have been recently installed software or hardware, but nothing new had been installed.

I could not get into safe mode, but I could get into setup. I magaged to get to a blank screen with a command prompt and ran "chkdsk" After 25% it said something like, "one or more sectors are corrupted", I can't remember the exact wording.

I tried different boot options, one was for "the last system settings that worked" When I tried this the screen went blank with a line of white dotted blocks along the bottom of the screen. The line started to fill in white then the computer froze.

After all this I decided a clean install of Windows was my only option, so that is what I did. Things seem to be back to normal now but for a number of times after the reinstall, when I would turn the computer on, the screen would go blank and the white dotted line would appear during startup. Just after "Press F2 for setup" and just before the windows logo appears.

I would realy like to know what the white dotted line was?

If it is possable I would also like to know if the problem was caused by some kind of malware or if my hard drive is dieing?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. if someone knows a good free program that I can use to recover lost files that would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

It sounds like it was a software problem, but if you are concerned about the HDD you can go to the home page of its manufacturer and download their diagnostic tool and run it to find out its condition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:16 AM

OK, thanks.

When you say "it looks like software problem", do you mean legitimate software or malware?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:32 AM

I misread you post last night, I would down load that diagnostic tool and see what condition you HDD is in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:00 AM

Hi,

I have a seagate st340014a hard drive. I went to their website but could not find the diagnostic tool you mentioned. Is thier anything else I can use to scan the drive?

I ran C: \ properites \ tools \ error-checking \ scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. The scan ran but it did not say if any problems were found or not.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:36 AM

You can download the Sea Tools diagnostic tool here, you will want to click on Download SeaTools for Windows now!

Did the scan make any difference?

#7 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

Sorry I have not got back sooner. I will get onto that scan now. Currently the computer seems fine.

#8 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:47 AM

Well I downloaded the Sea Tools diagnostic tool but its needs ".net " to work and that is over 200meg and I have dialup so it's just not going to happen. I guess that I will wait and see how things work out.

Thanks for the help. One last thing, do you know what the white dotted line that occours on startup, that I described previously, was all about?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:59 AM

Do you have a friend with broadband that will allow you to download it to their computer, you could then either make the bootable CD there or transfer it to a flash drive and install it on your computer and then make the CD.

#10 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:22 AM

Update, managed to download the smaller .net 2. Ran the sea tools scan. I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing but here are the results I got.

S.M.A.R.T. check - pass
Short drive self test - fail
Long drive self test - fail
Short generic - pass

I didn't try any of the advanced scans as it said I could loose data.

#11 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

The long generic was also a fail.

Does this mean that the drive is comming to the end of its usefullness?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

I would say that this drive has some serious problems, I would back up you important files and plan on replacing this hdd in the near future.

#13 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for the help. I will make sure that everything is backed up, not that there is much to back up after the previous crash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users